Curating Contemporary Art Short Course
The course will also provide you with important practical information about funding, promotion, installation and other professional aspects of curating. Then we'll move you on to building your practical skills by encouraging you to devise exhibition themes and proposals.
Don't miss your chance to gain valuable and practical insights into curating contemporary art in both gallery and alternative spaces.
You will gain vital understanding of professional standards of practice in curating, knowledge of structures and institutions of the art world in London and beyond and have the tools to write an exhibition proposal, organise a show and apply for funding. It could mean moving on to curatorial projects, assistantships, partnerships or internships in the future.
Who should attend
Anyone with an interest in curating exhibitions of contemporary art. You may be looking to make proposals to venues, apply for gallery internships, follow a career in arts administration or apply for a BA or MA degree in Curating.
Clear, easy to understand lessons:
- Our tutors will explain things in easy to understand, accessible English. If they need to use any special terminology they will make sure they explain what they mean.
- New methods will be shown to students through live demonstrations, in a way thats crystal clear and easy to understand.
- Experience life on campus
- Network and share ideas with students from across the globe
- Access the technology and materials relevant to your discipline
- Shop in our college shops for any materials you might need
- Ask questions of your tutor in real time
- Receive feedback and critique on your assignments
- Experience the many sights of London on your down time
A certificate of completion:
- You've put the work in so we want to make sure you have something to show for it!
- As long as you attend a minimum of 80% of your classes, we will provide you with a certificate of attendance.
- We always recommend you attend all of the classes so that you get the most out of the experience!
- Certificates are great to compliment your cv.
This course is scheduled to run on campus in a face to face delivery format. Please note that due to the ongoing pandemic situation this course may be adapted in line with UK government guidance or other operational requirements. This may include changing course location (to another UAL site), cancellation of the course, or moving part or all of the course online. In the event of any changes being required we will inform you as soon as possible and support you in any changes required. Please bear this in mind when making any travel, visa, or accommodation arrangements.
- A history of curating: Lectures on curatorial roles and histories.
- Translating ideas into proposals.
- Curatorial roles and working methods
- Context and mediation.
- Resources for curators.
- EXHIBITION: Contextualising your practice.
- Taking your proposals to the next stage, context and intention.
- Publicity and the press release.
- Partnerships, funding, timetables and calculating budgets.
- Pitching your project: how to present ideas.
Please bring the following materials with you on the first day:
- Notebook and pen
- Money for travel and exhibition entry
- Computer, laptop or iPad and internet access for homework activities
- Ideas for exhibitions that you would like to curate
- A USB stick
Meet the Tutor:
Join Curating Contemporary Art and gain an understanding of professional standards of practice in curating. Learn about structures and institutions of the art world - acquire the tools to write an exhibition proposal, organise a show or apply for funding.
This 5 day curating course will start by giving you an overview of the history of curating and 21st century curatorial developments. We will survey the main trends, institutions and concerns of contemporary curatorial practices. We will also virtually visit a range of exhibitions and institutions in London and have online discussions with industry professionals.