Graphic Design Principles Online Short Course
Graphic design is a constantly evolving discipline and is a dynamic and rewarding subject to study. This beginners short course will give you an understanding of fundamental design elements and principles. It includes an introduction to the components of any design project: typography, colour, form, grids and structure. Practical exercises will enable you to produce your own work, resulting in a small 'portfolio' by the end of the course. While the course will cover basic features of Adobe InDesign and Photoshop, which will be used for some of the exercises, Students should have a prior basic understanding of these programs to get the most out of the course.
By the end of this course you should be able to:
- Deconstruct/analyse examples of visual design
- Understand what makes a piece of design work
- Create your own designs
- Use basic functions of Adobe Photoshop and InDesign
Who should attend
Those who want to improve their design judgement and make more effective use of graphic design work produced by themselves and others.
All our Online Short Courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Lesson recordings, for review
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access
- Certificate upon completion
Further details about preparing for your online course, and the equipment you need, can be found here.
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To check and compare times please click here.
- Fundamental principles of graphic design
- Design vocabulary
- How space and shape convey meaning
- Layout and grids
- Collage using Adobe Photoshop
- Analysis of visual design
- Use of colour
Online short course materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Chrome)
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended. The built-in microphone in your device would also be fine)
- Strong Internet connection - we recommend a minimum of 2 Mbps download, and 1 Mbps upload, faster if possible. You can test your network speed here - https://www.speedtest.net
Please bring for the first session:
- Notebook and pen
Meet the Tutor:
Introduce yourself to the components of any design project: typography, colour, form, grids and structure in this Graphic Design Principles Short Course.