Design for Art Direction Online Short Course
Learn the methods of contemporary art direction and how to visually communicate creative solutions and concepts through intelligent use of narrative components such as image, colour, mood and pace.
You will learn how to generate new ideas through a wide range of media: photography, illustration, typography, graphic design, interactive components, animation and video, and be encouraged to incorporate mixed media to produce strong art direction and a clear visual narrative.
Innovation is at the heart of this course, and you will learn how to use and interpret images and reference points to create unexpected and engaging ideas that clients will embrace.
Through a series of group discussions, active participation, workshops and visits you will learn how to develop ideas that can be communicated both online and offline. Towards the end of the course you will focus on rationalising your ideas and take one idea through the process to produce an end result that embodies that idea and communicates it effectively. You will be encouraged to critique each other's visuals and concepts.
There will be mini briefs for you to work on throughout the course, and you will have an opportunity to analyse existing commercial campaigns. You are encouraged to have an idea of your own to work on throughout the course. With the support of the tutor you will be able to develop the idea into a clear brief and create appropriate content around it. Alternatively, you may work on briefs created by the course tutor.
Who Should Attend?
This course is aimed at students and professionals from a wide-range of backgrounds, including photography, film, graphics UX and animation. The focus is on visual narrative and creative thinking rather than technical skills - by the end of the course you will be confident to approach idea generation in a creative, innovative way.
This course is also a great refresher for anyone who has become stuck in old habits, or professional designers looking to move from one discipline into art direction.
By the end of this course you should be able to:
- Engage and interpret creative references across many disciplines
- Draw connections between sources that appear diverse
- Find and test ideas quickly
- Generate ideas that are precise, communicative and ready to be fully executed
- Articulate and present ideas with confidence
- Receive feedback on your outputs from the tutor and the course participants
All our Online Short Courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Lesson recordings, for review
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access
- Certificate upon completion
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time.
Online courses are closed to all new bookings 48 hours prior to the course starting.
- Interpreting sources, analysis and discussion in small groups
- Using areas of interest and ideas to hybridise bold new ideas
- Developing and analysing research
- Shaping ideas through written words, and design using animation, sketches, drawings and digital collage
- Creating concepts suitable for a range of mediums
Online short course materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Chrome)
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended. The built-in microphone in your device would also be fine)
- Strong Internet connection - we recommend a minimum of 2 Mbps download, and 1 Mbps upload, faster if possible. You can test your network speed here - https://www.speedtest.net
Please bring for the first session:
- notebook and pen
Meet the Tutor:
Learn the methods successful art directors uses to create and produce photography, graphic design and videos on this Design for Art Direction Short Course