Service Design Online Short Course
This online course is a practical introduction to the field of service design and will provide tools and methods for designing services. Service design is a people-centred design process that is used by organisations to create better services. It adds value for users by understanding and improving their experiences across the various stages of a service and for service providers by optimising their back-end operations.
During this course, you will be taught the theory and basic methods of service design while applying them to a specific challenge. This will give you both an overview of what service design is and how it can be applied in a real context.
This course will include:
- In-class workshops
- Project work
- Presentations and feedback sessions
By the end of this course you will have a better understanding of;
- Service design theory and essential methods such as customer journey mapping
- Design research and how to conduct it
- How ideation and prototyping can be applied to the design of services
- How service design can be implemented through tools such as service blueprints
Who is Service Design Online Short Course for?
The course will suit non-designers working in service industries as well as creative professionals looking to move into this emerging discipline. In fact, anyone interested in creative problem-solving approaches and applied design thinking would benefit.
All our Online Short Courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Lesson recordings, for review
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access
- Certificate upon completion
Further details about preparing for your online course, and the equipment you need, can be found here.
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To check and compare times please click here.
- Week One: Service Design 101 - Intro to service design and design thinking methodologies
- Week Two: Deep-dive on design research and how to conduct it
- Week Three: Using customer journey maps, personas and clustering to define a problem.
- Week Four: How to create and visualize great service concepts
- Week Five: Prototyping and testing for service design
- Week Six: Intro to implementing service design through blueprinting and business model design
- Week Seven: Delivering service design through business model design and measuring service design
Online short course materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Chrome)
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended. The built-in microphone in your device would also be fine)
- Strong Internet connection - we recommend a minimum of 2 Mbps download, and 1 Mbps upload, faster if possible. You can test your network speed here - https://www.speedtest.net
Please bring for the first session:
- notebook and pen
Meet the Tutor:
This online short course will develop your understanding of service design. You will learn the tools and methods for creating better services, applicable to a business or project in any industry.