Service Design (Online Short Course)
This online course is a practical introduction to the field of service design and will provide tools and methods for designing services. Service design is built upon a foundation of design thinking, and is a people-centred design process that is used by organisations to create better services. It adds value for users by understanding and improving their experiences across the various stages of a service and for service providers by optimizing their back-end operations.
During this course, you will be taught the theory and basic methods of service design while applying them to a specific challenge. This will give you both an overview of what service design is and how it can be applied in a real context.
This course will include:
- In-class workshops
- Project work
- Presentations and feedback sessions
- Week One: Service Design 101 - Intro to service design and design thinking methodologies
- Week Two: Deep-dive on design research and how to conduct it
- Week Three: Using customer journey maps, personas and clustering to define a problem.
- Week Four: How to create and visualize great service concepts
- Week Five: Prototyping and testing for service design
- Week Six: Intro to implementing service design through blueprinting and business model design
By the end of this course you will have a better understanding of;
- Service design theory and essential methods such as customer journey mapping
- Design research and how to conduct it
- How ideation and prototyping can be applied to the design of services
- How service design can be implemented through tools such as service blueprints
Who is Service Design (Online) for
The course will suit non-designers working in service industries as well as creative professionals looking to move into this emerging discipline. In fact, anyone interested in creative problem-solving approaches and applied design thinking would benefit.
Please note: This course is for students aged 18 and over
Why choose an LCC Online Short Course
Our online learning short courses allow you to experience London College of Communication wherever you are in the world. Additionally all LCC Online Short Courses include;
- Live sessions with expert
- Lesson recordings
- Practical assignments
- Personal feedback
- VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 3 months online access
- LCC Certificate upon completion
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To check and compare times please click here
Follow Up Courses
After you have completed this course you may want to learn more about User Experience (UX) Design (Online).
You may also be interested in our classroom based course taught at the college Service Design and Innovation Intensive.
Antonio Starnino is a service designer, facilitator, and lecturer born in Montreal, Canada, with a passion and curiosity for exploring design’s role in affecting positive change. He is a graduate of the Masters in Service Design from Politecnico di Milano. He has worked for a number of public and private sector institutions, across industries such as healthcare, smart energy, retail, education, mobility and food innovation, & digital government for European design studios such as frog, CB’a & DOING.
Currently, he is a partner at Studio Wé, a work design studio embedding design within organizations and he is also a visiting lecturer at Central Saint Martins and Politecnico di Milano teaching Service Design.