This online course is a practical introduction to the field of service design and will provide tools and methods for designing services. Service design is a people-centred design process that is used by organisations to create better services. It adds value for users by understanding and improving their experiences across the various stages of a service and for service providers by optimising their back-end operations.
During this course, you will be taught the theory and basic methods of service design while applying them to a specific challenge. This will give you both an overview of what service design is and how it can be applied in a real context.
This course will include:
- In-class workshops
- Project work
- Presentations and feedback sessions
By the end of this course you will have a better understanding of;
- Service design theory and essential methods such as customer journey mapping
- Design research and how to conduct it
- How ideation and prototyping can be applied to the design of services
- How service design can be implemented through tools such as service blueprints
Who is Service Design Online Short Course for?
The course will suit non-designers working in service industries as well as creative professionals looking to move into this emerging discipline. In fact, anyone interested in creative problem-solving approaches and applied design thinking would benefit.
All our Online Short Courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Lesson recordings, for review
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access
- Certificate upon completion
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time.
Online courses are closed to all new bookings 48 hours prior to the course starting.
- Week One: Service Design 101 - Intro to service design and design thinking methodologies
- Week Two: Deep-dive on design research and how to conduct it
- Week Three: Using customer journey maps, personas and clustering to define a problem.
- Week Four: How to create and visualize great service concepts
- Week Five: Prototyping and testing for service design
- Week Six: Intro to implementing service design through blueprinting and business model design
- Week Seven: Delivering service design through business model design and measuring service design
Online short course materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Chrome)
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended. The built-in microphone in your device would also be fine)
- Strong Internet connection - we recommend a minimum of 2 Mbps download, and 1 Mbps upload, faster if possible. You can test your network speed here - https://www.speedtest.net
Please bring for the first session: