Styling for Interiors Short Course
You will learn about colour theory, room layout, how to shop for styling elements and how to introduce texture and fabrics, as well as key interior trends and how to reference periods and styles. An introduction to styling for magazines and interior product photography will also be covered.
You will have acquired the creative and logistical knowledge to style interiors from the concept and mood board through to the space itself. You will learn to consider styling elements, colour theory and decoration techniques. You will also learn how to develop a stylists eye and leave with the knowledge as to how to create inviting and inspirational spaces.
Who should attend
Anyone with an interest in interiors looking to grow their knowledge and experience of styling. Ideal if you are looking to pursue a career as a photographic stylist, interior stylist or events stylist. Or perhaps you are simply interested in learning how to style your own home, or prepare it for a future sale or rental.
Clear, easy to understand lessons:
- Our tutors will explain things in easy to understand, accessible English. If they need to use any special terminology they will make sure they explain what they mean.
- New methods will be shown to students through live demonstrations, in a way thats crystal clear and easy to understand.
- Experience life on campus
- Network and share ideas with students from across the globe
- Access the technology and materials relevant to your discipline
- Shop in our college shops for any materials you might need
- Ask questions of your tutor in real time
- Receive feedback and critique on your assignments
- Experience the many sights of London on your down time
A certificate of completion:
- You've put the work in so we want to make sure you have something to show for it!
- As long as you attend a minimum of 80% of your classes, we will provide you with a certificate of attendance.
- We always recommend you attend all of the classes so that you get the most out of the experience!
- Certificates are great to compliment your cv.
This course is scheduled to run on campus in a face to face delivery format. Please note that due to the ongoing pandemic situation this course may be adapted in line with UK government guidance or other operational requirements. This may include changing course location (to another UAL site), cancellation of the course, or moving part or all of the course online. In the event of any changes being required we will inform you as soon as possible and support you in any changes required. Please bear this in mind when making any travel, visa, or accommodation arrangements.
- The role of the Interior Stylist
- Taking, interpreting and working from a client brief
- Developing a scheme
- Design concept and board
- Trend awareness
- Colour theory
- Decorative styles and styling principles
- The design process of a stylist
- Displaying collections and arrange furniture
- Sourcing objects and materials
Please bring the following materials with you on the first day:
- Notebook, pen and pencils
- Scissors and scalpel
- Pencil sharpener and eraser
- Paper glue stick
- Copydex glue (or glue suitable for sticking fabric)
A selection of interior design and life style magazines which you are prepared to cut up for images or brochures with interiors products
Please note that most of the materials needed for short courses are available at the Chelsea College of Arts' Art Shop. Please contact the Art Shop directly for opening hours and availability.
Meet the Tutor:
You will learn all the skills required to style beautiful interiors and magazine projects. Whether you have an interest in styling real homes, photographic shoots or styling for magazine projects you will learn all the rules of an interior stylist to then create your own portfolio of work.
Structured around an interiors brief and various practical lessons you will learn the principles of styling.