Screenwriting Beginners Online Short Course
Can you tell a good story? Then the chances are you can write a screenplay. Like all good stories, film and television dramas have to be structured. They need to grab your attention and hold it until the last frame. Whether you want to write commercial screenplays or break the mould, this course will teach you the basic principles.
All our Online Short Courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Lesson recordings, for review
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access
- Certificate upon completion
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time.
Online courses are closed to all new bookings 48 hours prior to the course starting.
- We will work on taking your ideas and finding their dramatic structure, then understanding how they fit into a classic genre.
- You will then learn the building blocks of satisfying storytelling and how to use conflict, tension and momentum to create a gripping story.
- Weekly writing assignments will put these principles into practice, while class discussion will encourage collaboration and confidence in your own creativity.
Online short course materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Chrome)
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended. The built-in microphone in your device would also be fine)
- Strong Internet connection - we recommend a minimum of 2 Mbps download, and 1 Mbps upload, faster if possible. You can test your network speed here - https://www.speedtest.net
There are no specific advance requirements for this course.
You are encouraged to come with an idea that you would like to develop into a film.
You may also wish to buy or rent a video or DVD of Little Miss Sunshine and The Apartment ahead of time, as you will be asked to watch these films as part of your homework (even if you have seen them before). Moviemail is recommended for an excellent online mail order service; they also have a huge back catalogue.
Meet the Tutor:
Can you tell a good story? Like all good stories, film and television dramas have to be structured. Whether you want to write commercial screenplays or break the mould, this course will teach you the basic principles