Footwear Design Intensive Short Course
Have you wanted to know more about whats involved in being a shoe designer or thinking of designing your own shoe collection? This shoe design course covers content from our 'Introduction to Footwear Design' alongside more advanced design techniques.
Under the expert guidance of the tutor, this inspirational and comprehensive footwear design course will take you through all the processes involved in designing your own collection. Youll start by looking at how shape and function affect shoe design and investigate different drawing techniques whilst you develop your own design ideas.
Youll explore different materials and trims and how to incorporate these into your design work. The course will also cover different ways of applying colour and texture through traditional skills.
Once confident in the basics of designing and researching youll then be given a project to complete in order to bring your research and design skills to production level. During this project you'll gain an understanding of technical terminology.
During your sessions youll be guided through creating specification sheets for effective communication with manufacturers. Youll also be given an overview of the production cycle and procedures within the footwear industry.
The course will be taught through a variety of technical workshops supported by lectures. This is a design course, and does not involve shoe making.
Clear, easy to understand lessons:
- Our tutors will explain things in easy to understand, accessible English. If they need to use any special terminology they will make sure they explain what they mean.
- New methods will be shown to students through live demonstrations, in a way thats crystal clear and easy to understand.
- Experience life on campus
- Network and share ideas with students from across the globe
- Access the technology and materials relevant to your discipline
- Shop in our college shops for any materials you might need
- Ask questions of your tutor in real time
- Receive feedback and critique on your assignments
- Experience the many sights of London on your down time
A certificate of completion:
- You've put the work in so we want to make sure you have something to show for it!
- As long as you attend a minimum of 80% of your classes, we will provide you with a certificate of attendance.
- We always recommend you attend all of the classes so that you get the most out of the experience!
- Certificates are great to compliment your cv.
- How to develop your design ideas
- Footwear design and construction theory
- Story/mood boards
- Design development process
- Drawing techniques
- Range building
- Production awareness
- Design mock ups
- Technical drawing
In order to fully participate in the practical exercises please bring the following materials/equipment to the first class:
- A4 paper pad or sketchbook
- Sketching pencils (HB)
- A black fineliner pen
- Coloured prints from the internet or magazines of a subject that interests you to use as a theme for your design inspiration and your favourite shoe.
Students will be required to put a minimum of £2 on a printing account and pay by debit or credit card – the tutor will advise you during your course. We recommend that you buy your materials from an art shop.
Meet the Tutor:
Our Footwear Design Intensive short course will take you through the process of designing your own shoe collection. This course covers content from our 'Introduction to Footwear Design' alongside more advanced design techniques.