You can borrow items from any UAL library by ordering them online using our Click and Collect service.
- There is currently no browsing the shelves to collect items for yourselves.
- To order an item log in to Library Search, search and reserve a book or DVD. We will email you when the item is ready to collect from your library. We will keep them for up to 14 days so you can collect them on days you are scheduled to be on site.
- We will be quarantining all returned books for 72 hours, so they will stay on your account for 3 days. This won’t prevent you borrowing more books, as they don’t count towards your library allowance.
- We are no longer charging fines and your books will renew automatically unless someone else reserves them.
Who can join and how much you can borrow
Who can borrow
- All students enrolled on courses lasting 10 weeks or longer
- Students enrolled on pre-sessional courses
- Staff with permanent or fixed term contracts
How to join
- If you're a student you're automatically a member.
- Staff need to fill in the Library Registration Form - Staff(PDF 329KB). You'll need your line manager's approval.
How many items you can borrow
- Undergraduate students (BA, BSc and FdA): 15 items
- Postgraduate and research students and staff: 20 items
- Further Education (Foundation and Pre-Sessional): 10 items
- Short Courses (10 weeks or over): 10 items
How long you can borrow for
- You can borrow most items using our 'click and collect' service for either 3 weeks (long loan) or 1 week (short loan). If they have not been reserved they will renew until you return them to the library.
- Some items are reference only. These are currently unavailable.
- Library Search will tell you how long you can borrow an item for.
- Check what you’ve borrowed and when it’s due on Your Account.
Borrow, return and renew
Click and collect borrowing
- Reserve your library item online by logging on to Library Search.
- You will receive an email when your item is ready to collect.
- Collect your item when you are in College to avoid additional journeys to the university.
- You can return items to your College library.
- Use the 'book drop box' if the library is closed.
- Use the LCC returns trolley at LCC reception Information Centre
- There is no 'book drop box' at Wimbledon. At the London College of Fashion, books can be left in a library box at reception.
- If you cannot come in,you can return items by post - please send by recorded delivery. See our locations.
- 3 and 1 week loans are renewed automatically if they are not requested by another person.
- Laptop loans are not renewable.
- If you've ordered something from a non-UAL library, request a renewal at the UAL library you collected it from.
- You'll receive renewal confirmation emails and alerts. Log in to your account to check.
Fines, account blocking and lost items
Fines for overdue loans
There are currently no fines for library items.
Your account will be blocked if:
- You have an item on loan which has been requested by another borrower, and you have not returned it within the 14 days after the due date
- You have long outstanding overdue loans
- Your library membership has expired.
Check your UAL email account for emails from the library with further details of any problem with your account.
You will not be able to borrow from any UAL library until you have returned outstanding overdue loans and paid any library debts.
If you have lost a library item:
- You will be charged the replacement cost of that item.
Borrow from different libraries
Requesting items from another UAL library
You can reserve items from any UAL Library, using our click and collect service. You can do this by logging in to Your Account and reserving the item.
Please note: it may take up to 1 week for an available item to be sent from another site library.
No borrowed copies of that item will be renewed until one is returned for you.
Suggesting new library stock
If the item you want is not available in UAL Libraries, you can recommend that it is purchased.
Please use the New Items Suggestion Form to suggest that library staff purchase new items not already in stock.
We support the ArtsSU Liberate My Curriculum campaign and always welcome suggestions for texts that make our collections more inclusive.
Ordering items from other libraries (interlibrary loans)
You can place an interlibrary loan (ILL) request to borrow the item from another library.