You can browse and borrow from our collections.
You can request items from the libraries using Click and Borrow. Please use the self-service machines to borrow the items on collection.
You can search our collections and find e-resources online.
Contact us on our Ask enquiry service if you need help.
Who can join and how much you can borrow
Who can borrow
- All students enrolled on courses lasting 10 weeks or longer
- Students enrolled on pre-sessional courses
- Staff with permanent or fixed term contracts
How to join
- If you're a student you're automatically a member.
- Staff can fill in the Library Registration Form.
How many items you can borrow
- Undergraduate students (BA, BSc and FdA): 15 items
- Postgraduate and research students and staff: 30 items
- Further Education (Foundation and Pre-Sessional): 10 items
- Short Courses (10 weeks or over): 10 items
How long you can borrow for
- You can borrow most items using our 'click and borrow' service for either 3 weeks (long loan) or 1 week (short loan). If they have not been reserved they will renew until you return them to the library.
- Some items are reference only.
- Library Search will tell you how long you can borrow an item for.
- Check what you’ve borrowed and when it’s due on Your Account.
Borrow, return and renew
Click and borrow
- Reserve your library item online by logging on to Library Search.
- You will receive an email when your item is ready to collect.
- Collect your item when you are in College to avoid additional journeys to the university.
- You can reserve up to 5 library items at any one time.
- You can return items to your College library.
- Use the 'book drop box' if the library is closed.
- There is no 'book drop box' at Wimbledon. At the London College of Fashion, books can be left in a library box at reception.
- If you cannot come in to return items please contact us
- 3 and 1 week loans are renewed automatically if they are not requested by another person.
- Laptop loans are not renewable.
- If you've ordered something from a non-UAL library, request a renewal at the UAL library you collected it from.
- You'll receive renewal confirmation emails and alerts. Log in to your account to check.
- Students can borrow laptops for 5 hours.
- Laptops are not for use off-campus.
- Laptop loans are not renewable.
- Fines of £1 per hour are charged for late returns.
- Please read the full terms and conditions (PDF 175KB) before borrowing.
Fines, account blocking and lost items
Fines for overdue loans
We charge fines for library laptops and interlibrary loans only
Your account will be blocked if:
- You have an item on loan which has been requested by another borrower, and you have not returned it within the 7 days after the due date
- You have long outstanding overdue loans
- Your library membership has expired.
Check your UAL email account for emails from the library with further details of any problem with your account.
You will not be able to borrow from any UAL library until you have returned outstanding overdue loans and paid any library debts.
If you have lost a library item:
- You will be charged the replacement cost of that item.
Visit or borrow from different libraries
Requesting items from another UAL library
You can reserve items from any UAL Library, using our click and borrow service. You can do this by logging in to Your Account and reserving the item.
Please note: it may take up to 1 week for an available item to be sent from another site library.
No borrowed copies of that item will be renewed until one is returned for you.
Suggesting new library stock
If the item you want is not available in UAL Libraries, you can recommend that it is purchased.
Please use the New Items Suggestion Form to suggest that library staff purchase new items not already in stock.
We support the ArtsSU Liberate My Curriculum campaign and always welcome suggestions for texts that make our collections more inclusive.
Ordering items from other libraries (interlibrary loans)
You can place an interlibrary loan (ILL) request to borrow the item from another library.
About SCONUL Access
SCONUL Access is a scheme which enables library users to access other libraries. The scheme covers most of the university libraries in the UK and Ireland and UAL is a member.
You may be able to borrow books from other member libraries if you are:
- a member of staff
- a postgraduate research student
- a part-time, distance learning or placement student
- a full-time postgraduate student
You may be able to visit other member libraries for reference if you are:
- a full-time undergraduate student
How to join
Visit the SCONUL Access website to join the scheme and find out which libraries you can use.
You will receive a SCONUL Access approval email from UAL Library Services.
- You should only apply for access to ONE other library; your SCONUL Access approval email will enable access to all participating libraries
- Before visiting any other library check their website for opening hours and local visitor or membership requirements
- SCONUL Access approval does not provide automatic rights to computer facilities or access to e-resources at other libraries. You have access Wi-Fi via Eduroam from your own device