BiographyFollowing graduation from Goldsmiths College of Art in 1993, I exhibited at the White Cube gallery in London, and have since participated in numerous group and solo exhibitions in the United Kingdom, Germany, Japan, Israel and the United States. I recently exhibited work from the ‘Yassin’ and ‘Chokras’ Mahal’ series as Itai Doron's Strays at Other Criteria’s Bond street gallery (September, 2011) and participated in ‘World in London’ - a commission by The Photographers' Gallery which became an outdoor exhibition in London during Summer 2012.
I am currently developing a new body of work titled ‘Fighter/Corner’ - a direct continuation of ‘Great Expectations’, my previous collection of photographs that primarily focused on representing East European male migrant workers who came to the UK to work and then settled in the city of London - construction workers, painters, scaffolders, drivers and carpenters - turning them into icons of masculinity. The project looks at gender performativity in the specific context of East Europe's catholic, conservative and ultra-macho working class culture.
Moving from the male dominated arena of the building site to that of the gym ‘Fighter/Corner’ expands this focus by looking at the rituals of sports, across physical activity, culture and education and the role it has in the life of young urban men and the subsequent recreation of social groups.
- Doron I. Boys' Palace (2016)
- Doron I. Helden für einen Tag (Heroes For A Day) (2015)
- Doron I. ‘Penal Colony’: Guest Álbum (2014)
- Doron I. Portrait of Miroslav Stoykov in The World in London exhibition. (2012)
Conference, Symposium or Workshop item
- Doron I. Orientalist Reveries: the Visual Representations and Appropriations of the ‘Arabian’ Space by the Non-Muslim Male Traveller - from Travel Literature to Photography and Contemporary Fashion imagery (2015)
- Doron I. Tinker, Soldier, Sailor, Thief: Identity, Discourse, Narrative and Representation of the Male Sexual Outlaw as a Gay Fantasy Figure and its Appropriation from Art and Literature into Fashion Imagery (2014)
- Doron I. ‘Queering Foreign Bodies: Discourse and Identity in Visual Representations of Straight Migrant Men' (2013)
- Doron I. Waahid in Jaffa (2016)
- Doron I. Rockers Galore & Selected Photographs: Josh Cheuse, Itai Doron and Ross McNicol (2015)
- Doron I, Braun S. Strays (2011)
- Doron I. Strays (2011)
- Doron I. Keep me posted (2010)