Your creative future starts here:
REF 2021: UAL leads in Art and Design research
- Written byDan Austin
- Published date 12 May 2022
The Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2021 has cemented University of the Arts London’s position as the top institution for Art and Design research (A&D) – leading in the sector for the size and quality of its REF submission.
In comparison to the REF 2014, the last time the exercise was undertaken, UAL increased the size of its submission by 75% whilst maintaining exceptional quality. In the REF 2021 assessors graded 85% of UAL research as world-leading (4*) or internationally excellent (3*) - a 2% increase on 2014.
Analysis of the results by Times Higher Education demonstrates that UAL dominates in A&D with the highest market share (7.2%) and is 1st for research power*. With a GPA of 3.18, we rank 50th on their overall REF table.
For A&D, UAL is one of the highest performing specialist HEIs, and the top practice-based institution, as demonstrated by the following REF 2021 results:
- Largest submission for A&D - 57% larger than the next largest institution, Royal College of Art.
- 85% of research received overall grade of world-leading (4*) or internationally excellent (3*)
- 100% of our environment scored 4* and 3* - an increase of 10% in 4* driven by an increase in the size of UAL’s PHD programme
- 90% of our impact was scored 4* and 3*
- Increased the number of outputs submitted while maintaining quality profile with 79.1% of outputs scored 4* and 3*
- An increase in our Grade Point Average to 3.18 from 3.12 in 2014.