Sustainable Pattern Cutting and Draping Short Course
You will also be covering other approaches to sustainable pattern cutting using draping and fabric manipulation techniques. You will also be re-purposing existing clothing and draping on the stands, and will be looking at techniques for deconstruction re-styling and adapting existing garments to create new styles. You will also research in the library and each student will make a mood board and use this to create their own designs with guidance from their tutor.
Who should take this course?
Beginners to experienced pattern cutters.
This course will cover 4 different approaches to sustainable pattern cutting and draping, and on the final day you will present your own final garment using some of the techniques learnt during the week.
Entry requirements: Any previous pattern cutting experience and an ability to sew will be helpful.
Level: All Levels
Please note: This course is for students aged 18 and older
Clear, easy to understand lessons:
- Our tutors will explain things in easy to understand, accessible English. If they need to use any special terminology they will make sure they explain what they mean.
- New methods will be shown to students through live demonstrations, in a way thats crystal clear and easy to understand.
- Experience life on campus
- Network and share ideas with students from across the globe
- Access the technology and materials relevant to your discipline
- Shop in our college shops for any materials you might need
- Ask questions of your tutor in real time
- Receive feedback and critique on your assignments
- Experience the many sights of London on your down time
A certificate of completion:
- You've put the work in so we want to make sure you have something to show for it!
- As long as you attend a minimum of 80% of your classes, we will provide you with a certificate of attendance.
- We always recommend you attend all of the classes so that you get the most out of the experience!
- Certificates are great to compliment your cv.
- Sustainable pattern cutting
- Zero waste pattern cutting draping
- Fabric manipulation techniques
- Repurposing clothing in new ways
Please bring with you to the first class:
- Fabric scissors
- Fine steel pins
- Measuring tape
- Wrist pin cushion
- Red & black markers
- Propelling pencil & eraser
- Paper scissors
- 1-3 vintage hand garments for upcycling exercises (not needed until day 4)
Meet the Tutor:
On this practical workshop you will explore different sustainable and zero waste design and pattern cutting techniques. Zero-waste is a design technique that eliminates textile waste at the design stage. It has been estimated that 15% of textiles intended for clothing ends up on the cutting room floor- why waste a precious resource?