Technical Drawing for Fashion with Adobe Illustrator Online Short Course
Adobe Illustrator is an essential tool for technical fashion drawing, and is widely used in industry by designers, pattern cutters, garment techs and manufacturers. Digital technical drawings are the best way of accurately describing and sharing garment ideas and designs, and Illustrator is the most popular software because it is quick and clear to use. This online course will help you develop this must-have skill.
In this course, you will learn all the main techniques and methods to create accurate flat drawings which can be used by pattern cutters and manufacturers, and can be added to garment tech packs and specifications.
The course is very practical, and each week you will practice your skills on realistic assignments, and get personal tutor feedback. By the end of the course you will be able to confidently produce technical fashion drawings, and review and understand drawings made by others.
Who is Technical Fashion Drawing with Adobe Illustrator Online Short Course for?
This course is ideal for fashion designers who want to be able to present their designs using an industry-standard format, or any fashion professional who has to share ideas and designs digitally, or review designs and ideas created by others.
By the end of the course you will have be able to;
- Communicate a design idea in a technical drawing
- Accurately describe a garment with Illustrator
- Draw a technical drawing using a template
- Draw a technical drawing from a sketch or a drape
- Add details and finishes to a technical drawing
All our Online Short Courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Lesson recordings, for review
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access
- Certificate upon completion
Further details about preparing for your online course, and the equipment you need, can be found here.
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To check and compare times please click here.
In order to fully participate in the practical exercises, please have the following materials/equipment for the first class:
- An up-to-date version of the Adobe Illustrator software
- A notepad and a pen
- A modern computer with an up-to-date operating system
- An up-to-date web browser (Google Chrome is recommended)
- A microphone (a headset with microphone/headphones is recommended)
Finally, a good broadband connection is also essential (mobile data 3G/4G or a mobile dongle might not provide sufficient bandwidth).
- Introduction to Adobe Illustrator
- Vector illustration techniques for technical drawing
- Drawing simple garments like t-shirts
- More complicated garments like shirts and skirts
- Seams, stitching and top-stitching
- Details (darts, pockets, trimmings, fastenings, etc.)
- Rotating, editing and joining paths
- Working with templates and creating your own templates
Meet the Tutor:
This hands-on, online course will give you an overview of how fashion designers use Adobe Illustrator within their practices. Youll learn how to create your own technical fashion drawings to an industry standard using this software.