Ethical and Sustainable Practice in Fashion Short Course
You will explore the possibilities of sustainable and ethical practices in fashion through the way we design, produce and consume clothes. We will discuss what impact we have through our choices and look at values and quality in contemporary fashion items. Plus, we will look at a wide range of current approaches by young contemporary designers.
We will visit fashion stores with sustainable and ethical approaches in London and do some research through the archives of Central Saint Martins' library. We will search for a personal answer to the question: In this socially and environmentally challenging times for fashion, what would be my individual approach to contributing to more sustainable practices?
Towards the end of the course, we aim to have explored some positive responses to ethical issues in fashion.
Who should take this course?
This course is for anyone who is interested in fashion styling or fashion design with good understanding of contemporary fashion and with an interest in ethical practice within the industry.
Entry requirements: None
Clear, easy to understand lessons:
- Our tutors will explain things in easy to understand, accessible English. If they need to use any special terminology they will make sure they explain what they mean.
- New methods will be shown to students through live demonstrations, in a way thats crystal clear and easy to understand.
- Experience life on campus
- Network and share ideas with students from across the globe
- Access the technology and materials relevant to your discipline
- Shop in our college shops for any materials you might need
- Ask questions of your tutor in real time
- Receive feedback and critique on your assignments
- Experience the many sights of London on your down time
A certificate of completion:
- You've put the work in so we want to make sure you have something to show for it!
- As long as you attend a minimum of 80% of your classes, we will provide you with a certificate of attendance.
- We always recommend you attend all of the classes so that you get the most out of the experience!
- Certificates are great to compliment your cv.
Your tutor will outline the course agenda in detail on day one of your course.
Please bring with you to the first session:
- Sketchbook/notebook (no need to get a new one, this is for your personal use)
- A favourite item of clothing
Meet the Tutor:
You will explore possibilities of sustainable and ethical practices in fashion through the way we design, produce and consume clothes. We will discuss what impact we have through our choices and look at values and quality in contemporary fashion items.