Technical Drawing for Product Design Online Short Course
This intensive technical drawing course will take you through everything you need to consider in the product design drawing process. You will learn a range of drawing techniques including orthographic drawing and the principles of dimensioning and elevations.
Technical drawings or orthographic drawings are a globally recognized language and an essential skill for any designer who requires their product to be produced. This course covers the basics of orthographic technical drawing in 3rd angle projections, and covers drawing templates, general arrangement drawing, parts drawings, and notating and dimensioning based on BS 8888: 201The techniques learnt will help you on your path to becoming a product designer.
You will learn through weekly online group sketching, drawing tutorials, and exercises. You will be encouraged to experiment with different product design tools. In the final week you will apply with you have learnt and present your final drawing including parts detailing, dimensioning and sections.
This course could be a step towards getting a job in product design, developing your portfolio for a degree application or to aid your own professional practice. Through experimenting with different ideas and techniques you might decide on a specialism such as household appliance or furniture design.
By the end of the course you will have;
- Knowledge of what orthographic drawing is and how it can be used
- The skills to produce an orthographic drawing of a selected object
- Learnt how to annotate and dimension a drawing
- Learnt how to produce sections and parts drawings
- Produced a final orthographic drawing
Who is Technical Drawing for Product Design Online Short Course for?
This course is for beginners with an interest in developing their drawing skills for product design and expanding their portfolio. It is also suitable for professionals wanting to revisit the basics and gain a fresh perspective. After this course you could go on to apply for a degree or even set up your own product design practice
All our Online Short Courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Lesson recordings, for review
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access
- Certificate upon completion
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time.
Online courses are closed to all new bookings 48 hours prior to the course starting.
- Introduction to orthographic drawing
- Technical drawing templates
- Scale of drawing
- Drawing orientation
- Line types
- Lettering and numerals
- Projection symbols
- Drawing preparation
- Drawing templates, composition, scale, layout type and text
- Drawing arrangements, elevations and the process of drawing
- Hidden lines and centre lines
- Principles of dimensioning
- Parts detailing, sections and enlargements
- Produce parts drawings
- Drawing composition
- Sections and annotations
- Detail drawing
- Sectional views
- Presenting final drawings
Online short course materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Chrome)
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended. The built-in microphone in your device would also be fine)
- Strong Internet connection - we recommend a minimum of 2 Mbps download, and 1 Mbps upload, faster if possible. You can test your network speed here - https://www.speedtest.net
In order to fully participate in the practical exercises please have the following materials/equipment for the first class:
- Notepad and pen
Meet the Tutor:
This online short course will take you through everything you need to consider in the product design drawing process. You will look at orthographics, parts drawing and dimensioning and consider practical application for your own drawings.