Exhibitions: Histories, Practices
The research focus of this group considers exhibitions and curating, inside and outside the museum and the gallery space, as a way to examine the validity of claims these practices make for contemporary art and as a means to analyse their effects, historically and in the present.
Group convenor:Dr Lucy Steeds
Recent activities & outputs
- Tara McDowell: ‘Pure Information: Conceptual Art at the Nova Scotia College of Art and Design’, Tuesday 26 May 2015.
- Research presentations on Exhibition Studies, 24 March 2015.
- Hammad Nasar - Navigating the Afterlife of 'The Other Story', 14 April 2015
- Bojana Piškur: ‘Museum of the Workers’ Feb 2015
- Anthony Yung: ‘Asia Art Archive and Exhibitions in Mainland China 1979 to 1999′, 2014.
Related links & resources
Talks in the Exhibition Histories series at Whitechapel Gallery London:
- Lubaina Himid, 2016 (video)
- Rasha Salti, 2016 (video)
- Hou Hanru, 2015 (video)
- Helmut Draxler , 2014 (video)
- Clémentine Deliss, 2014 (video)
- Ruth Noack, 2013 (video)
- Guy Brett, 2013 (video)
- Lucy Lippard, 2013 (video)
- Ute Meta Bauer, 2013 (video)
- 'Regions of the Contemporary: Transnational Art Festivals and Exhibitions in 1990s Southeast Asia’, University of Melbourne, 2016 (information)
- ‘How Institutions Think’, LUMA Arles, 2015 (videos)
- ‘The Future Curatorial What Not and Study What? Conundrum’, Bard College, 2014 (videos)
- 'Magiciens de la Terre' Reconsidered, Tate Modern, 2014 (video)
- 'an Exhibit', ICA, 2014 (videos)
- 'Artist as Curator: Collaborative Practices', 2013 (video)
- 'Artist as Curator', Central Saint Martins, 2012 (various videos)
- 'Art and the Social: Exhibitions of Contemporary Art in the 1990s' Tate Britain, 2010 (videos)
- 'Exhibitions and the World at Large' symposium, Tate Britain, 2009 (audio)