Running Your Own Fashion Label (Online)
Online courses occur as a live session for 1.5 hours each week, during which time you will interact with your tutor, classmates and course content using in-built audio and video chat, instant messaging and the virtual work display area.
This introductory-level course provides a foundational understanding of the fashion industry, essential to anyone hoping to establish their own fashion label. You will gain knowledge of the key factors needed to make a successful fashion business; understanding fashion markets, getting the right team, producing a tight business plan, PR and marketing, and design and production...
Taught by: Jennifer Williams-Baffoe.
This introductory-level course provides a foundational understanding of the fashion industry, essential to anyone hoping to establish their own fashion label. You will gain knowledge of the key factors needed to make a successful fashion business; understanding fashion markets, getting the right team, producing a tight business plan, PR and marketing, and design and production. Over the course you will conduct your own research, which will help you to develop the vision for your fashion label, and complete a set of exercises to reinforce the skills and techniques you will be taught. By the end of the course you will be able to deliver a presentation to the group outlining your business strategy for your own fashion label.
- Introduction to the fashion business
- Planning in the fashion industry
- Consumer profiles and target customers
- Making a business plan that works
- Handling the financials
- PR and Marketing
- Manufacturing procedures
- The design and production cycle
- Final presentation
By the end of the course you will have;
- Developed a foundational understanding of the Fashion Business sector and how it operates
- Gained an understanding of how a fashion label operates
- Conducted a trend forecasting exercise
- Learnt how to evaluate your business and your competitors
- Made initial plans on how you will finance your label
- Planned ideas for a PR campaign, tailored to your business
- Given a presentation outlining a possible strategy for your own label to the class
- Received feedback from your tutor and advice on how to progress beyond this course
Who is Running your Fashion Label (Online) for
This course is perfect for anyone who aspires to run their own fashion label but has limited or no experience of the fashion industry. The course will develop your understanding of how the fashion industry works, and provide the first steps to running your own label.
Please note: This course is suitable for students aged 18 and over
Why choose a CSM Online Short Course
Our online learning short courses allow you to experience Central Saint Martins wherever you are in the world. Additionally all CSM Online Short Courses include
- Live sessions with expert
- Lesson recordings
- Practical assignments
- Personal feedback
- VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 3 months online access
- CSM Certificate upon completion
Further details about preparing for your online course, and the equipment you need, can be found here:
Please note this course is being delivered in UK time. Click here to check and compare UK time.
Jennifer Williams-Baffoe is an international fashion and creative industry business consultant and has worked for many organisations such as The Fashion and Textiles Museum, The British Fashion Council and The British Apparel and Textile Confederation. Jennifer is a short course tutor at Central Saint Martins and The London College of Fashion and is the author of The British Fashion Councils Designer Manufacturer Handbook. Jennifer is also a consultant for the United Nations on their Ethical Fashion Initiative Project
Online Short Course Materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Firefox or Chrome)
- The latest version of Java installed on your device
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended)
- Strong Internet connection via WiFi or ethernet; 2G, 3G or 4G will not be sufficient
Course Specific Materials
- Paper and pen to take notes during live sessions