Privacy and Cookies
Should we ask you to provide certain information by which you can be identified by when using this website, then you can be assured that it will only be used in accordance with this privacy statement.
University of the Arts London is committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected. Should we ask you to provide certain information by which you can be identified by when using this website, then you can be assured that it will only be used in accordance with this privacy statement.
Details of the University's Notification to the Information Commissioner, setting out brief details of how we use your data, can be found by visiting ico.org.uk and searching "University of the Arts London".
University of the Arts London may change this policy from time to time by updating this page. You should check this page from time to time to ensure that you are happy with any changes. This policy is effective from 26 May 2012.
What we collect
The types of information which we may collect and process about you are:
- Your name.
- Your contact information including postal address, email address and any phone number which you provide.
- Demographic information such as postcode, preferences and interests
- Information which you provide when ordering our services through our website, or when you complete an application for entry into a course of study at the University, or when you apply for accommodation.
- Information that you provide when you enter into prize draws or competitions, and details of any donations which you make to the University.
- Other information relevant to surveys and/or offers.
- A record of any correspondence, comments or other communications which you sent us via the website.
- To process orders, applications, enquiries and requests which you may submit through the website.
- Internal record keeping.
- To improve our services.
- Send you information about the University and its achievements.
- Tell you about conferences, seminars, workshops, shows, exhibitions and other similar events which we think you may be interested in.
- Send you information about courses or other studies which we may make available to you and which we think could be of interest to you.
- Send you details of any fundraising or other campaigns which we may run.
- Send you promotional information about third parties we think you may find interesting.
- Our website may also use a website recording service which may record mouse clicks, mouse movements, page scrolling and any text keyed into website forms. Data collected by this service is used to improve our website usability. The information collected is stored and is used for aggregated and statistical reporting, and is not shared with anybody else.
Disclosure of your information
- If we are under a duty to do so in order to comply with our legal obligations.
- To protect our rights.
- To protect our property or that of our staff, students, other users of our website or services, or any other person (which may include third parties who claim that you have infringed their privacy or their intellectual property rights).
- To ensure the safety of our staff and students.
- For the purposes of reducing credit risk or preventing fraud.
- Whenever you are asked to fill in a form on the website, look for the box that you can click to indicate that you do not want the information to be used by anybody for direct marketing purposes.
- If you have previously agreed to us using your personal information for direct marketing purposes, you may change your mind at any time by writing to or emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Data Protection Act 1998
- Freedom of Information Act 2000
- Information Commissioner's Office
If we ask you to enter a username and password to access our services then, in addition to the information set out above, we may also collect information about the areas of the website or network you have visited, the pages you have looked at, and any materials you have viewed or downloaded.
Even if we do not require you to enter a username and password in order to access our services, we will hold information about your visit to the website, including but not limited to the services and resources on the site which you have visited, pages you have visited, and information about website traffic.
What we do with the information we gather:
We use the information which we collect from you to help us to understand your needs and provide you with a better service by customising the website to match your interests. We may also use it for the following purposes:
If you have given your consent for us to do so, we may also use your information to:
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.
We use our cookies to help us:
- Make our website work as you'd expect.
- Remember your settings during and between visits.
- Improve the speed/security of the site.
- Allow you to share pages with social networks like Facebook.
- Continuously improve our website for you.
- Make our marketing more efficient.
- Remember if we have already asked you certain questions (for example if you declined to take a survey).
- Collect any personally identifiable information (without your express permission).
- Pass data to advertising networks.
- Pass personally identifiable data to third parties.
We do not associate the data which we gather from this site with any personally identifying information from any other source. If we do want to collect personally identifiable data through our website, we will tell you. We will make it clear when we collect personal data and will explain what we intend to do with it.
You can learn more about all the cookies we use below.
Third party functions
Disabling these cookies may mean that the functions offered by these third parties will no longer work.
Social website cookies
So you can easily 'Like' or share our content on Facebook and Twitter we have included sharing buttons on our site.
Cookies are set by:
The privacy implications of sharing our content on these sites will vary from social network to social network and will be dependent on the privacy settings you have chosen on these networks.
Visitor statistics cookies
These so-called analytic programs also tell us how people have reached this site (e.g. from a search engine) and whether they have been here before, helping us to put more money into developing our services for you instead of marketing expenditure.
Turning cookies off
Most web browsers allow some control of most cookies through the browser settings. You can learn more about doing this by visitng About Cookies Website. Doing so however may limit the functionality of our website.
It may be that your concerns around cookies relate to so-called "spyware". If so, then rather than switching off cookies in your browser you may find that anti-spyware software achieves the same objective by automatically deleting cookies considered to be invasive. Learn more about managing cookies with antispyware software.
Links to other websites
Our website may contain links to other websites of interest. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over that other website.
For that reason we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by this privacy statement. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
Controlling your personal information
You may choose to restrict the collection or use of your personal information in the following ways:
You may request details of personal information which we hold about you under the Data Protection Act 1998. A small fee will be payable. If you would like a copy of the information held on you please write to The Data Protection Officer, Governance and Legal Affairs, University of the Arts London, 272 High Holborn, London WC1V 7EY.
If you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, please write to or email us as soon as possible, at the above address. We will promptly correct any information found to be incorrect.