Bra Pattern Cutting
This course is for students who would like to develop their pattern cutting skills in the specialised area of bras.This course is delivered from our dedicated Contour department at Mare Street. You’ll start by investigating different shapes and styles of bras, different cup seams, wires, and fabric types...
Taught by: Lynsey Allison, Tutor to be confirmed.
This course is for students who would like to develop their pattern cutting skills in the specialised area of bras.
This course is delivered from our dedicated Contour department at Mare Street. You’ll start by investigating different shapes and styles of bras, different cup seams, wires, and fabric types.
We’ll demonstrate how to create patterns for bras, using methods such as modelling on the stand and drafting from given measurements. You will leave the course with 3 bra patterns of different styles. These will include: a plunge underwired bra, balcony bra with cradle and a full cup bra. You will also be shown how to make a bra toile and how to fit the bra to the stand.
The course includes:
- Different methods of pattern construction
- Pattern annotation, grain & stretch
- Seam types: vertical, diagonal, curved, horizontal & darted
- Introduction to bra fabrics and components
- Fabric suitability / testing stretch of fabric
Please note that all bras patterns will be constructed in size 34B. This course does not include grading patterns to different sizes or making completed bras.
Intermediate to Advanced. You should be a regular sewer and have good pattern cutting skills. This course is not suitable for beginners.
Your course place is confirmed once you have booked online or via the phone using a credit or debit card. There is no deadline for booking. Places are offered on a first come, first served basis, and all courses have a maximum number of students. We suggest you book early to avoid disappointment.
In order to fully participate in the practical exercises please bring the following materials/equipment to the first class:
- 28mm blade Rotary cutter with retractable blade (Olfa or Fiscars)
- Pattern master or Graders set square & French curve
- Paper shears for pattern cutting
- Tracing wheel
- Metric tape measure
- Fine pins
- Flexible ruler
- Air-erasable fabric marker pen
- 5mm propelling pencil with one of the following types of lead: 2H to 6H
- Designer tape
- Notepad and pen