Self Promotion For Creatives (Online)
Online courses occur as 1.5 hour live sessions, during which time you will interact with your tutor, classmates and course content using in-built audio and video chat, instant messaging and the virtual work display area.
This popular online course is essential for anyone who desires to make a living from art, design, photography, image-making, or other creative activities. It focuses on vital marketing, promotional and presentation skills, in person, in print and online...
Taught by: Jennifer Williams-Baffoe.
This popular online course is essential for anyone who desires to make a living from art, design, photography, image-making, or other creative activities. It focuses on vital marketing, promotional and presentation skills, in person, in print and online. To guarantee success as a creative practitioner or business you have to network, keep in touch with trends, build your profile, write statements, pen marketing copy, social media content, and generate imaginative publicity for your venture.
You also have to present a selection of visual, moving image, audio, and written materials for editorial and digital media use. Another important skill is constructing and presenting proposals to gain commissions, contracts, or crowdfunding. Practical assignments will improve confidence in presenting yourself or projects and ideas to investors, sponsors, or audiences.
- Networking: why and how
- Printed media for self promotion
- Online showcasing via social media
- Developing your unique selling point (USP)
- Marketing plans and marketing statements
- The importance of marketing research
- Spotting future trends and how they are relevant to your marketing plan
- Media and press releases
- Planning a marketing campaign
- Crowdfunding and sponsorship
- Writing proposals
- Branding, trademarks and intellectual property
- Gaining editorial coverage
By the end of this course you will have;
- Developed a range of techniques to improve the promotion of your unique practice or business
- Learnt how to use printed marketing materials effectively
- Taken steps towards developing your USP and explored your unique artist's or designer's statement on your 'creative strategies'
- Explored the market and emerging trends to best recognise who your clients, commissioners, collectors and patrons are or may be
- Learnt how to plan and manage a marketing campaign for an exhibition, fair, show, collection, product or business launch
- Developed an understanding of what sponsorship is and how to write a proposal to a potential sponsor
- Covered international property law to protect your brand in the market place, and how to trade legally in line with business name regulations
- Practiced a range of creative marketing and presentation techniques to attract media, audience and the attention of a potential client
What past students are saying about this course:
'Having just completed 'Self-Promotion for Creatives Online' I'm brimming with ideas which I have captured in a marketing plan designed to spring board my career as a a professional artist.' - Martyn C.
'Self-promotion for Creatives Online' has given me the confidence I needed to go forward and finally establish my own company. I recommend this course to all ambitious artists and designers who feel they need to be set in the right direction.' - Layal C.
'Self-Promotion for Creatives Online' is an excellent course that gives a valuable insight to the business side of a creative profession and offers good ideas on how to promote yourself. Overall a very useful course and highly recommended!' - Zhi Ling L.
Who is Self promotion for Creatives (Online) for
This course is vital for any artists, designers, or creatives who want to learn how to best promote themselves or their business. It will allow you to progress your creative practice, reach a wider audience and learn to flourish in an increasingly competitive marketplace
Please note: This course is for learners aged 18 and over
Why choose a CSM Online Short Course
Our online short courses allow you to experience Central Saint Martins wherever you are in the world. Additionally all CSM Online Short Courses include;
- Live sessions with industry expert
- Lesson recordings
- Practical assignments
- Personal feedback
- VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 3 months online access
- CSM Certificate upon completion
Further details about preparing for your online course, and the equipment you need, can be found here
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To check and compare times please click here
Jennifer Williams-Baffoe is an international fashion and creative industry business consultant and has worked for many organisations such as The Fashion and Textiles Museum, The British Fashion Council and The British Apparel and Textile Confederation. Jennifer is a short course tutor at Central Saint Martins and The London College of Fashion and is the author of The British Fashion Councils Designer Manufacturer Handbook. Jennifer is also a consultant for the United Nations on their Ethical Fashion Initiative Project
You will need for the first class:
- For the first session please make sure you have a pen and a notepad to hand.