Promoting Sustainability in Fashion (Online)
This course is an introduction for fashion marketing professionals and strategists to the increasingly important trend towards fashion sustainability. The course covers marketing opportunities, the changing consumer, and risks and issues through the value chain...
Taught by: Liz Parker.
This course is an introduction for fashion marketing professionals and strategists to the increasingly important trend towards fashion sustainability. The course covers marketing opportunities, the changing consumer, and risks and issues through the value chain.
During the course you will explore critical approaches to fashion marketing and communications from a sustainability perspective and address the question of whether marketing is hindering or helping tackle the sustainability challenges faced by the industry. This understanding will help you develop more sophisticated sustainability strategies.
- Introduction to global sustainability challenges and fashion sustainability.
- Exploration of the sustainable fashion market supply and demand.
- Brand strategic planning: Evaluating the business environment (PESTLE).
- Business structures and business models.
- How is sustainability being framed and potential for market growth
- Marketing communications: tools and challenges.
- What sustainability issues are being covered, using what channels?
- Greenwashing and Green hushing
- The stakeholder approach
- Endorsements, match-up and labelling.
- Rational vs emotional messaging.
- Reputation and crisis risks.
- CSR marketing and how it effects brands in crisis situations.
- The sustainability marketing paradox.
- Should marketing focus on 'what's in it for me' or target universal values?
By the end of this course you will;
- Gain a developed understanding of the issue of sustainability in relation to the fashion industry
- Know the main driving forces for changes
- Explore if sustainability can create a a competitive advantage for a brand
- Understand how sustainability issues are being communicated to the public
- Understand consumer attitudes towards sustainability and how this can impact a fashion brand
- Understand how sustainability issues can be used to strengthen and grow a fashion brand
- Present a sustainable fashion brief to the group and receive tutor feedback
Who is Promoting Sustainability for Fashion (Online) for
This course will be invaluable to individuals seeking to a comprehensive understanding of sustainability issues, how they are affecting the consumer, and, as a result, and the fashion industry. This course will best suit individuals already working in the fashion industry, and some overall knowledge of the industry will be useful to participate fully in the course.
Level: Beginner to Intermediate.
Please note: This course is for learners aged 18 and over
Why choose a CSM Online Short Course
Our online learning short courses allow you to experience Central Saint Martins wherever you are in the world. Additionally all CSM Online Short Courses include;
- Live sessions with expert
- Lesson recordings
- Practical assignments
- Personal feedback
- VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 3 months online access
- CSM Certificate upon completion
Further details about preparing for your online course, and the equipment you need, can be found here
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To check and compare times please click here
Liz Parker teaches sustainable fashion at University of the Arts London and across the UK. She is an activist, researcher and project manager in sustainable fashion, specialising in workers' rights in garment supply chains. She has worked for the Clean Clothes Campaign, Fashioning an Ethical Industry, Women Working Worldwide and Ethical Fashion Consultancy amongst many others.
Online Short Course Materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Firefox or Chrome)
- The latest version of Java installed on your device
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended)
- Strong Internet connection via WiFi or ethernet; 2G, 3G or 4G will not be sufficient
Course Specific Materials
- Paper and pen to take notes during live sessions
Details for booking
|Date||Day of Week||Time||Duration||Cost||Status||Location||Action|
|21/08/2018 - 02/10/2018||Tuesday||13:00 - 14:30||6 Weeks||£250||Available||Online||Add to Basket|
|03/11/2018 - 08/12/2018||Saturday||10:30 - 12:00||6 Weeks||£250||Available||Online||Add to Basket|
|07/11/2018 - 12/12/2018||Wednesday||17:00 - 18:30||6 Weeks||£250||Available||Online||Add to Basket|
|07/02/2019 - 14/03/2019||Thursday||13:00 - 14:30||6 Weeks||£250||Available||Online||Add to Basket|
|16/04/2019 - 21/05/2019||Tuesday||18:30 - 20:00||6 Weeks||£250||Available||Online||Add to Basket|
|08/07/2019 - 12/08/2019||Monday||13:00 - 14:30||6 Weeks||£250||Available||Online||Add to Basket|