Studens working at PC
Image courtesy of UAL

Are you ready to apply for your PgCert or MA Academic Practice?

Before you apply

Before you apply check that you:

Internal applicants

If you are a member of UAL staff, choose from the following application forms:

Remember to allow time to get the appropriate signatures on your form. Please return your completed application form to the contact for your college or department.

External applicants

If you are external to UAL or self-funding, please choose from the following application forms:

  • ‌The 2016/17 PgCert is now closed.
  • Applications for 2017/18 courses will open in late spring 2017.

You’ll also need to supply:

  • Copies of academic qualifications
  • A copy of your passport
  • A reference that confirms your teaching hours and experience
  • Copies of English language qualifications (IELTS) or details of any future English courses/exams, if applicable.

English language requirements

If your secondary or higher level of education was not conducted in the medium of English, you will need to attach evidence of your English Language ability to your application. The minimum requirement is an IELTS score of 7.0, with a minimum of 6.5 in each element, or an equivalent qualification such as TOEFL, or the Cambridge Advanced exam.

English language courses are available at The Language Centre. For English language test exemptions, please visit the English Language Requirements page.

Please return your completed application form and accompanying documentary evidence to:

MA Academic Practice applications
Teaching and Learning Exchange
University of the Arts London
6th floor
272 High Holborn
London WC1V 7EY

What happens next?

We will be in touch to confirm receipt of your application. If you haven’t heard from us within three weeks please contact us at

Can I receive credit for any previous experience or qualifications?

It may be possible to receive credits for previous courses (admissions with academic credit, or AAC) or for experiential learning (Accreditation of Prior Experiential Learning, or APEL). In order to apply, identify the units you are claiming credit for and complete an AAC or APEL application form. You’ll need to demonstrate that you’ve achieved equivalent learning outcomes in your previous course of study, or through experiential learning.

For full criteria and the number of credits that you can substitute, download this guide:

Guide to AAC and APEL (Word 21KB)

  • Applications for the PgCert have now closed for 2016/17. Please contact us about places on the MA Academic Practice.