Knitwear For Fashion - Beginners
This course offers you the chance to create a complete project in knitwear design - no previous knitting experience required!
You will begin by sourcing inspirational images, yarns and materials which you will translate into your knits over the duration of the course.
- You will firstly be given a solid grounding in the basic machine knitting stitches.
- We will then progress to more complicated techniques such as fairisle, tuck & slip stitch, fully fashioning and creating patterns.
- You will learn how to translate your visual research into beautiful knits and how to sketch up design ideas.
- Finally, you will choose how to complete your project by creating either a garment or a portfolio of swatches.
Entry requirements: None
Please note: This course is for students aged 18 and older
Alice Wellbeloved has worked as head knitwear designer for numerous luxury brands including Christian Lacroix, Sonia Rykiel and Viktor and Rolf. She also teaches textiles, fashion and knitwear at Foundation and BA level at Central Saint Martins. Alice has a BA in Textile Design and an MA in Fashion Knitwear from Central Saint Martins.
Please bring with you to the first session:
- Tape measure
- A selection of yarns of different weights and gauges. You do not need to bring in large amounts but should bring a good selection that you are inspired by.
- There will be a limited supply of basic wools and cottons provided.
- Ribbons, lace, net, fabrics, or any other non- knitted trims to embellish your swatches
- Any students wishing to use crochet or handknitting to embellish their samples should also bring crochet hooks / knitting needles, but please note that this is not a taught part of the course due to time constraints
If no dates are showing then please Enquire about this course and we will contact you when new dates are published.