Fabric Panelling for Textile Design
In this course you will be combining different fabrics to create beautiful, vibrant panelled textiles. By stitching material together using a range of techniques (pointed seams, corners and curved seams) you can create dramatic patterns and interesting textures whilst learning sewing techniques that can be applied to a range of contemporary fashion and textile work. The work will be finished off with seam embroidery and embellishments.
During the course you will:
• Be guided in the design process
• Learn how to piece fabric together with an awareness of mixing different fabrics and how they behave when being joined to a contrasting material
• Have experience of using an industrial sewing machine
• Learn creative pattern cutting (for textiles not clothing)
• Work on embellishing and embroidering your fabric
You will leave with a length of textiles that you have designed and sewn, and will take away a deeper understanding of creative sewing and fabric.
Who should take this course
This course is aimed at those with basic sewing skills looking to enhance their skills in textiles, embellishment and sewing.
You should have used a sewing machine before and have a basic knowledge of sewing.
Please note: This course is for students aged 18 and older
Luke Anthony Rooney is a London based womenswear designer who likes to explore the use of texture, colour and surface design. His textile expressionism is offset with an expert cut. Complex panelling is featured heavily within his work, mixed with classic tailored pieces. His work is an exploration of silhouette, form and application, taking inspiration from gaiety, frivolity and a sense of fantasy. His designs connect considered construction and technique with an exuberant and joyous spirit. Mixing hand techniques with creative cutting and stitching, the designs take on different dimensions. Luke shows his collections with On|Off during London Fashion Week. You can find Luke on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.
Please bring with you to the first session:
• A pencil
• Paper and fabric scissors
• A patternmaster (available from morplan/ amazon)
• Chalk pencil
• Small sharp embroidery scissors
• If you have any pieces of fabric that you would particularly like to work with please bring them with you to the first session, there will also be an opportunity to buy fabrics to work with during the course, please allow a budget of £20 to £30 for purchasing material
If no dates are showing then please Enquire about this course and we will contact you when new dates are published.