Understanding Fabrics: Fabric Testing and Quality
This course examines the quality aspects of different fashion fabrics. Using relevant British and European standards, a range of common textile test methods will be examined and how to interpret and evaluate the test results is explained. You will also examine the benefits of textile testing, how to select relevant tests for different end products, and how the fabric performance largely determines the quality of the final garment.
- Quality in textile / clothing products
- Legal requirements
- Faults in Fabrics
- Introduction to textile testing
- Textile test methods (we cover all the main tests for fashion fabrics)
- Interpretation of test results
By the end of the course you will:
- Recognise different faults in fabrics
- Understand how faults occur
- Understand how to formulate strategies for dealing with faults
- Understand textile test methods
- How to evaluate test results and reports
- Understand the benefits of textile testing and appreciate the different quality features of fashion fabrics
This course is suitable for anyone who has contact with off-site testing houses and who wants to gain a greater understanding of the test methods used and the evaluation of results. Also, anyone who wants to gain a greater understanding of the quality aspects of textiles in general.
Please note: our Understanding Fabrics courses are part of a series. We recommend you take the courses in the following order or have existing knowledge to the same level before progressing to the next course:
1. Understanding Fabrics: Fibres and Fabrics
2. Understanding Fabrics: Fabric Construction
3. Understanding Fabrics: Colouring and Finishing Fabrics
4. Understanding Fabrics: Fabric Testing and Quality
Please note: This course is for students aged 18 and older.
Your course place is confirmed once you have booked online or via the phone using a credit or debit card. There is no deadline for booking. Places are offered on a first come, first served basis, and all courses have a maximum number of students. We suggest you book early to avoid disappointment.
Janet Wilson, CTextFTI, has been a lecturer in the UK for over 25 years, teaching training courses for the clothing and retail industry. She has worked as a textile designer in the UK and Switzerland and specialises in the subjects of: woven fabrics, warp-knitted fabrics, weft-knitted fabrics, printed and dyed textiles, textile finishing, textile fibres and textile testing and quality. Janet is the author of Classic and Modern Fabrics: The Complete Illustrated Sourcebook, published in 2010. She continues to design fabrics on a freelance basis and is a member of the Textile Institute.
In order to fully participate in the practical exercises please bring the following materials/equipment to the first class:
- Notepad and pen