Drawing and Painting for Textile Design (Online Short Course)
Drawing and painting are essential skills for textile designers, and this course will help you develop the techniques, confidence and inspiration you need to create your own original and unique designs. Through a series of practical projects, you will learn the process of generating ideas, experimenting with techniques and materials, creating motifs and personal styles, and developing these into finished paper designs.
- Primary visual research
- Identifying themes
- Colour palettes
- Freehand painting of motifs (flowers, etc.)
- Stencils and stamps
- Experimental mark-making
- Resists (masking fluid, wax)
- Designing a collection
By the end of the course you will have:
- Developed confidence in hands-on textile design
- Conducted visual research and created a mood board identifying your themes and motifs
- Discovered and used a range of painting and drawing techniques specifically designed for textile print
- Developed textile designs from initial ideas through to finished concepts
- Produced a portfolio of textile designs on paper that can contribute to further study in this subject area
Who is Drawing and Painting for Textile Design (Online) for
The course is perfect for aspiring textile designers, and anyone working in the textile field in non-design roles who wants to understand how textile designers work. It is also suitable for anyone who wants to bolster their interior design, textiles, fashion or fine art portfolios.
Why choose a CSM Online Short Course
Our online learning short courses allow you to experience Central Saint Martins wherever you are in the world. Additionally all CSM Online Short Courses include
- Live sessions with expert
- Lesson recordings
- Practical assignments
- Group feedback
- VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 3 months online access
- CSM Certificate upon completion
Visit Frequently Asked Questions for further details about preparing for your online course, including any equipment you need.
Visit the CSM Short Courses blog to have an inside look at the course before enrolling.
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To compare times, please check World Time Buddy.
Please note: This course is for students aged 18 and older
Please note that Online courses are closed to all new bookings 48 hours prior to the course starting.
Dominique graduated from Central Saint Martins with a BA hons degree in Fashion and initially worked for TIMNEY FOWLER where she created textile print designs for the UK and JAPANESE fashion markets. She established her own company in 1999 developing and designing primarily for the US apparel market but also collaborating on special design projects with Nigel Coates [ architect] JIGSAW merchandising team and MARKS & SPENCERS. From 2002 -2007 Dominique was an associate lecturer at LCF on an elective programme teaching students from a diverse range of design disciplines Textile Print. She currently teaches for Artscom online textile design courses.
Online Short Course Materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Firefox or Chrome)
- The latest version of Java installed on your device
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended)
- Strong Internet connection via WiFi or ethernet.
Course Specific Materials
You will need the following materials to complete this course
- AB, 2B, and 3B pencil
- Paper scissors, and a scalpel / craft knife
- Selection of acrylic paints, and watercolour inks
- Selection of paintbrushes including one flat 4cm acrylic brush
- Palette to mix paints and inks (well will be essential)
- Regular A4 cartridge paper (e.g. 90gsm)
- Liquid masking fluid and wax candles
n.b. Photoshop and other digital editing tools are not required (although students are welcome to experiment).