Understanding Your Digital Camera Short Course
Do you have a digital camera, but are confused by all the buttons and controls? It is time to make the most out of your investment and get creative control of your camera.
This two-day course, will help you take full advantage of your digital camera.
Taught through a series of demonstrations and exercises, this practical skills-based course covers theory, camera skills on location, shooting modes, manual exposure controls, aperture, shutter speed and managing white balance. Finally, you will look at file formats and methods for image storage.
By the end of this course you should be able to:
- Use the manual functions on your digital camera with confidence
- Demonstrate an understanding of sophisticated techniques such as motion blur and selective focus
- Create beautiful and impressive photographs using your digital camera
Who Should Attend
Anyone desiring to get the most out of their digital camera or who wants to move their photography beyond using a basic point-and-shoot or mobile phone camera.
Clear, easy to understand lessons:
- Our tutors will explain things in easy to understand, accessible English. If they need to use any special terminology they will make sure they explain what they mean.
- New methods will be shown to students through live demonstrations, in a way thats crystal clear and easy to understand.
- Experience life on campus
- Network and share ideas with students from across the globe
- Access the technology and materials relevant to your discipline
- Shop in our college shops for any materials you might need
- Ask questions of your tutor in real time
- Receive feedback and critique on your assignments
- Experience the many sights of London on your down time
A certificate of completion:
- You've put the work in so we want to make sure you have something to show for it!
- As long as you attend a minimum of 80% of your classes, we will provide you with a certificate of attendance.
- We always recommend you attend all of the classes so that you get the most out of the experience!
- Certificates are great to compliment your cv.
This course is scheduled to run on campus in a face to face delivery format. Please note that due to the ongoing pandemic situation this course may be adapted in line with UK government guidance or other operational requirements. This may include changing course location (to another UAL site), cancellation of the course, or moving part or all of the course online. In the event of any changes being required we will inform you as soon as possible and support you in any changes required. Please bear this in mind when making any travel, visa, or accommodation arrangements.
- Fundamental Concepts of Photography
- Correct Exposure
- Depth of Field and Motion Blur
- Focusing techniques
- Shooting modes
- Manual exposure controls: Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, Program, Manual
- Shutter speed
- Managing white balance/colour temperature
- Camera metering options: Spot, Centre, Matrix/Evaluative
- Lenses: Focal length / Angle of View and Lens Speed
- File formats
- Storage, backup, and workflow
Please bring with you to the first session:
- Digital Camera (mirrorless or DSLR)
Meet the Tutor:
Learn how to take beautiful digital photos when you join Understanding Your Digital Camera Short Course. Covering functions for exposure, aperture and motion blur, you will leave with the skills and techniques to use your camera on manual settings.