Editorial Photography (Weekend)
A two-day comprehensive course focusing on professional production and editing strategies; participants will be given insider advice and tools to avoid the most common mistakes and maximize the chances to be seen and be chosen by magazines, galleries and agencies.
The course combines marketing insights with a strong creative component and search for authenticity.
Course level Intermediate
Who should take this course?
The course is suited for documentary photographers, photojournalists, fine art, portrait, landscape and travel photographers. It is less recommended for commercial photographers.
What will I take away from the course?
Participants will learn how to:
- Being more strategic with their new productions
- Meet the real needs of the marketplace
- Choosing their pictures with a professional methodology
- Use texts and captions in a professional way
- Make their portfolios cut through the noise and make a real impact
All participants will go home with:
- A brand new edit of their project
- A review of their portfolio
What are the key topics the course will cover?
- How to become your own PhotoEditor
- Strategic production
- Editing and sequencing for a project
- Editing and sequencing for a portfolio
- What do editorial clients really want?
- Intro text and captions
- In person presentations
- Online portfolios review
The course combines theory and practice through a workshop format.
Please note: This course is for students aged 18 and older
Raffaela Lepanto is a visual editor, producer, and freelance photographer-writer who has worked for several magazines and photo agencies over the last 15 years. After her long collaboration with Grazia Neri Photoagency, Milan, she worked for Emblema, an independent Italian Photoagency, as a Photo Editor, Production Manager and Web Creative Director. She currently works as a Photography Consultant between Milan and London, where she provides bespoke consultancy for agencies, organisations and photographers. Her website is: http://www.raffaelalepanto.com
Participants are requested to bring:
- One single project they want to edit (max. 200 images, JPG format)
- Their own laptop with their preferred editing software (eg. Lightroom, Bridge) if they have it available - for those that do not have their own computer and software, this will be provided by the college.
- A link to their website or online portfolio gallery
Please note that this is not a course about photo retouching or post-production. Photoshop is not required.