During this course, we will be looking at men’s and ladies 18th century costume, particularly each area e.g. the bodice, skirt, stomacher, sleeves and collars.
Initially making a corset-shape to transform the mannequins into an 18th century silhouette, I will then take you through the process of cutting a dress pattern on the stand and explain the methods needed to complete the costume.
We will be using calico fabric (provided) throughout the week and concentrating on getting one or more toiles completed. There will be the opportunity to venture into men’s costume and also other useful skills including frogging and boning
By the end of the week, you should be able to identify costumes from all periods of the 18th century, have the confidence to make a pattern from a design and have the knowledge of how to complete it.
· The European fashions of the 18th century period and how to reshape and size a mannequin in preparation to pattern cut on the stand
· Taking a pattern and making it into a toile
· Sewing techniques appropriate to take the costume to completion
· Skills used to embellish an outfit including ruffling, gathering, binding and frogging
Who should take this course?
· Those who have an interest in making costume for performance in TV, theatre and film
· Anyone wishing to build an existing knowledge in this field.
Experience in both hand and machine sewing and previous experience in pattern cutting is an advantage.
Please note: This course is for students aged 18 and older
Diane Favell studied at Southgate and London college of Fashion and had several years within the theatre profession as a costume maker/Supervisor before joining R.A.D.A. in 1995, she became Head of Wardrobe in 2002. Seeing the Wardrobe department grow into a teaching department, Diane developed and teaches on a 2 year Specialist Costume course at RADA, as well teaching on the other many and diverse theatre and film based courses within the Academy.
Please bring with you to the first session:
- A small sewing kit including, scissors, needles and pins
If no dates are showing then please Enquire about this course and we will contact you when new dates are published.