Learn General English for different purposes in our unique creative environment.
The Language Centre is absolutely amazing! I came to pass the IELTS exam and got more than the results I wanted. Moreover, the building facilities are great and the teachers really nice, they gave each and every one of us the attention we deserve (which is pretty rare). I totally recommend it. Clemence, France
Hours per week
Choose to study 15 or 20 hours of English classes per week.
Why choose our General English course?
General English at UAL Language Centre is ideal for you if:
- You want to learn English for social, work or study reasons
- You want to improve your everyday English language skills and be able to communicate effectively with different people in a variety of situations.
- You are looking for a flexible English course which allows you to study additional language or creative skills at the same time.
- You want to study in a British Council accredited school
Alternatively you can choose to to add 5 hours a week of IELTS Preparation or Speaking Skills to your English course.
- Balanced programme: speaking, listening, reading, writing, pronunciation, grammar, comprehensive language input
- Varied delivery: pair and group work, student-led input, project work, private study
- Focus on living and communicating in real-life situations in Britain: a wide range of general interest topics, communicative approach, cross-cultural communication and cultural visits
- Regular progress tests and tutorials
- Add 5 hours of IELTS Preparation or Speaking Skills
- Add an English Plus Summer or English Plus Year-round course
- Options for one-to-one classes (price available on request).
The General English at UAL Language Centre is taught within a creative context. Our teachers not only use standard General English materials but also additional authentic resources around art, design, fashion and communication, for discussions, projects and class excursions.
What is included?
- 15 hours of General English classes each week
- Regular tutorials and reviews
- Free Wi-Fi access across all UAL sites
- Independent study facilities
- Certificate of attendance
How long is the programme?
Minimum enrolment length is 2 weeks. Maximum enrolment length is 48 weeks.
When can I start?
Every 2 weeks with a Monday start throughout the year (except national public and Language Centre holidays). See our dates and fees section.
What time are the classes?
15 hours per week: 9am - 12.20pm or 1.45pm - 5.15pm
20 hours per week: 9am - 1.30pm or 12.30pm - 5.15pm
Your class may be in the morning or the afternoon depending on your level. You will be given your course timetable on your first day of classes.
How many students in a class?
The average number is 12 - the maximum is 15.
What is the minimum age?
Level of English offered and CEFR equivalents
A2 = Pre-intermediate
B1 = Intermediate/Upper Intermediate
B2 = Upper Intermediate
C1 = Pre-advanced/Advanced
Not sure? Check your Language Level
Dates and fees
General English classes start every 2 weeks on a Monday (except public holidays and over the Language Centre holiday periods) on the following days:
6 Jan, 20 Jan, 3 Feb, 17 Feb, 2 Mar, 16 Mar, 30 Mar, 14 Apr, 27 Apr, 13 May, 11 May, 1 June, 15 June, 29 June, 13 July, 27 July, 10 Aug, 24 Aug, 7 Sep, 21 Sep, 5 Oct, 19 Oct, 2 Nov, 16 Nov, 30 Nov
The Language Centre holiday is 25-29 May 2020 and there are no classes in that week.
Public holiday dates are:
1 January, 10 April, 23 April, 8 May, 25 May, 31 August, 25 December and 26 December
Fees - General English (15 hours a week)
- 2-4 weeks: £290 a week
- 6-12 weeks: £280 a week
- 14-22 weeks: £270 a week
- 24-34 weeks: £260 a week
- 36-48 weeks: £250 a week
Fees - General English with IELTS Preparation or Speaking Skills (20 hours a week)
- 2-4 weeks: £385 a week
- 6-12 weeks: £370 a week
- 14-22 weeks: £355 a week
- 24-34 weeks: £340 a week
- 36-48 weeks: £325 a week
How to book your course
Read information about how to book and pay for your course.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Language Centre is suspending English and Arts classes until further notice. This is in line with social distancing and remote working guidance from the UK government.
We will update this website as soon as we have further information.
Learn English Plus Ceramics in this 2-week introductory course combining English lessons with practical creative skills. Learn to make ceramic art and explore different techniques with pottery and clay.
Learn English Plus Fashion Styling and study current trends and collections in fashion styling, while creating your own look.
English Plus Marketing and Communication combines English classes with an introduction to marketing, advertising and public relations.
This English Plus Media course combines between 4 and 24 weeks of General or Academic English classes at UAL Language Centre with a media course at London College of Communication. Media courses include branding, social media, design, photography and film making.
English Plus Fashion allows you to combine your English course at UAL Language Centre with different fashion topics at London College of Fashion throughout the year.