Learn General English for 15 or 20 hours per week in our unique creative environment.
The Language Centre is absolutely amazing! I came to pass the IELTS exam and got more than the results I wanted. Moreover, the building facilities are great and the teachers really nice, they gave each and every one of us the attention we deserve (which is pretty rare). I totally recommend it. Clemence, France
Hours per week
Choose to study 15 or 20 hours of English classes per week.
Why choose this programme?
This programme is ideal for you if:
- You want to learn English for social, work or study reasons
- You want to improve your everyday English language skills and be able to communicate effectively with a variety of people in a number of different contexts
- You are looking for a flexible English course which allows you to study other skills at the same time.
As well as adding on 5 hours of IELTS Preparation or Speaking Skills options, you can also add arts, design, fashion, media or communication courses to your English studies when you take our English Plus Summer or English Plus Year-round courses.
Download our English Courses Brochure and Dates and Fees Booklet:
- Balanced programme: speaking, listening, reading, writing, pronunciation, grammar, comprehensive language input
- Varied delivery: pair and group work, student-led input, project work, private study
- Focus on living and communicating in real-life situations in Britain: a wide range of general interest topics, communicative approach, cross-cultural communication and cultural visits
- Regular progress tests and tutorials
- Add 5 hours of Speaking Skills or IELTS Preparation
- Add an English Plus Summer or English Plus Year-round course
- Options for one-to-one classes (price available on request).
General English is taught within a creative context. Our teachers not only use standard General English materials but also additional authentic resources around art, design, fashion and communication, for discussions, projects and class excursions.
What is included?
- 15 or 20 hours of English classes each week
- Regular tutorials and reviews
- Free Wi-Fi access across all UAL sites
- Independent study facilities
- Certificate of attendance
How long is the programme?
Minimum enrolment is 2 weeks. There is no maximum enrolment.
When can I start?
Every fortnight with a Monday start throughout the year (except national public and Language Centre holidays).
What time are the classes?
15 hours per week: 9am - 12.20pm or 1.45pm - 5.15pm
20 hours per week: 9am - 1.30pm or 12.30pm - 5.15pm
Your class may be in the morning or the afternoon depending on your level. You will be given your course timetable on your first day of classes.
How many students in a class?
The average number is 12 - the maximum is 15.
What is the minimum age?
Level of English offered and CEFR equivalents
A2 = Pre-intermediate
B1 = Intermediate/Upper Intermediate
B2 = Upper Intermediate
C1 = Pre-advanced/Advanced
Not sure? Check your Language Level
General English with Speaking Skills option
- 15 hours per week of General English
- Extra 5 hours per week of tuition focusing on speaking, pronunciation and cultural English
- Two weeks minimum, no maximum length
- Start dates are every 2 weeks
- Minimum level of English required: Pre-intermediate
General English with IELTS Preparation option
- 15 hours of General English
- Extra 5 hours per week of IELTS preparation
- Two weeks minimum, 24 weeks maximum length
- Monthly start dates
- Minimum level of English required: Intermediate
Dates and fees 2019
Our General English classes start every 2 weeks on a Monday (except public holidays and over the Language Centre holiday periods).
7 Jan, 21 Jan, 4 Feb, 18 Feb, 4 Mar, 18 Mar, 1 Apr, 15 Apr, 29 Apr, 13 May, 3 June, 17 June, 1 July, 15 July, 29 July, 12 Aug, 27 Aug, 9 Sep, 23 Sep, 7 Oct, 21 Oct, 4 Nov, 18 Nov, 2 Dec
The Language Centre holiday is 27-31 May and there are no classes in that week.
Public holidays are as follows:
1 January, 19 April, 22 April, 6 May, 27 May, 26 August, 25 December and 26 December
General English (15 hours per week)
- 2-4 weeks: £280 per week
- 6-12 weeks: £270 per week
- 14-22 weeks: £260 per week
- 24-34 weeks: £250 per week
- Over 36 weeks: £240 per week
General English with IELTS Preparation or Speaking Skills (20 hours per week)
- 2-4 weeks: £375 per week
- 6-12 weeks: £360 per week
- 14-22 weeks: £345 per week
- 24-34 weeks: £330 per week
- Over 36 weeks: £315 per week
How to book your course
Read information about How to book and pay for your course.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Combine between 4 and 24 weeks of General or Academic English courses at UAL Language Centre with practical art and design lessons at Chelsea College of Arts.
Combine between 4 and 24 weeks of General or Academic English classes at UAL Language Centre with a media course at London College of Communication. Media courses include branding, social media, design, photography and film making.
Combine between 4 and 24 weeks of General English or Academic English courses at UAL Language Centre with practical fashion lessons at London College of Fashion.