Proofreading and Copy Editing: BSI Standards
This one-day intensive course provides both an independent introduction to an important skill and an overview of the role of the proofreader within the process of producing documentation.
Before beginning the course you will be sent a guide to the British Standards Institution'sproofreading marks to use in practice exercises. The emphasis is on spotting and correcting errors within complex documents, but you will also gain an understanding of the functions of the proofreader, types of proof and the relative cost of corrections.
By the end of the day, you will have a solid understanding of typographic requirements and be able to use proofreaders' marks effectively
- The role of the proofreader in comparison with the role of the copy-editor
- Proof correction skills
- Proof correction marks
- The proofreader’s role in the production process
- Proofreading on screen
- Types of proof
- The relative cost of corrections
By the end of the course you should be able to:
- Recognise and appreciate the role of the proofreader within a business
- Learn how to spot errors and use the right symbols to mark them up
- Understand proofreading on screen and apply this to your work
- Have the tools and confidence to continue to develop your skills
Who Should Attend
Those required to check copy as part of their job or looking to find freelance proofreading work.
Follow Up Courses
After you have completed this course you may be interested in Confident Copywriting.
We also offer bespoke proofreading courses for groups, individuals and businesses. To find out more, visit our Customised Training page
This course will be taught by a respected industry expert.