Get a thorough foundation in the development of digital books and journals on this short course designed for publishing professionals. You'll be introduced to the key technological developments and reader trends that have created new business models. It will review all sectors of publishing.
There will be an introduction to the changes to workflow and content management for publishing, and the implications for product planning. You’ll find out about the opportunities digital technology has brought – looking at different business models: subscription, PAYG, multiplatform and sponsored. You’ll also look at current issues and debates in digital publishing though a series of case-studies: pricing, copyright, user-generated content.
Using the business model canvas you will have the chance to apply your new knowledge by developing a business model and presenting it to the group. This will be a chance for you to synthesise your learning and apply it to a case-study relevant for your career.
Whilst this is not a ‘tecchie’ course you will have the opportunity to get to grips with technology in some practical workshops.
By the end of the course you should be able to:
- Work on digital product development with confidence
- Use a publishing specific digital vocabulary
- Demonstrate an understanding of current issues and challenges in publishing
- Contribute to the development digital publishing business models
You may be:
- In a senior publishing position and responsible for recruiting new staff
- An editor working with developers and digital designers
- Expanding your digital strategy or experimenting with new digital products
- Returning to work after a break for parental leave or other reasons
- A freelancer seeking opportunities and networks
This course has been specifically designed for those who want to increase their digital vocabulary and approach digital products in the book and journal industries with more confidence.
Please bring with you to the first session:
- A notebook
- A pen
Presentations, Case-Studies and Group Work
- Sector Developments
- What makes a digital product different?
- Overview – where is the technology?
- Publishing sectors
- Workflow – moving towards a digital output
- Structured data
- EReaders and EPub
- Flowable text, fixed page layouts
Product Development and Planning
- Approaching digital product development
- Auditing content
- Format, lsources, permissions
- Copyright and legal
- New consumers
Exploring Business Models
- Value and business modelling e.g.
IP – multiplatform
- New Consumers
- XML and Metadata
- HTML – Coding for Non-Coders
- User Experience Design (UX)
- Data visualisation
Meet the Tutor:
Get a thorough understanding of the technology and business models behind digital books and journals on Digital Publishing, a short course designed for industry professionals.