Practical Media Relations
Get insight into building effective and mutually beneficial relationships with journalists. You'll learn about both reactive and proactive media relations so by the end of the course you'll know how to respond effectively to enquiries from journalists and how to gain coverage for your stories. This course is ideal if you have just started out in your career. It's a workshop style course and you'll contribute your ideas to group discussions and take part in writing exercises.
- What is media relations?
- Why is media relations so important to the PR practitioner?
- The different types of media and the different ways of reaching and influencing journalists
- Working with journalists – what journalists want and do not want.
- Managing media enquiries (reactive media relations)
- Getting media coverage (pro-active media relations)
- How to write a news release
- How to manage a media briefing
- Media relations in a crisis
By the end of this course you should be able to:
- recognise what journalists want from PR practitioners
- know how to target relevant media
- understandwhat makes a good news story
This course is perfect for you if you are new to working in a communications or PR role, or are looking to start a career in media relations
Beginner: This course is perfect for those with little or no knowledge of media relations.
We also offer bespoke media and communications courses for groups, individuals and businesses. To find out more, visit our Customised Training.
Ruth Butah is an Associate Lecturer on the Communications and Media programme at London College of Communication, teaching on first and second year undergraduate courses in Public Relations and Media Communications.
Ruth is passionate about education and brings her industry experience to the courses at LCC. She's worked with some of the biggest names in fashion including Puma, adidas, Barbour, Chopard and Juicy Couture.
At Dolce and Gabbana Ruth held the role of celebrity endorsements and PR Manager.
Most recently she has been providing her PR and marketing communication experience to a luxury boutique hotel chain in London.
This course will be taught by a respected industry expert.