Practical Media Relations (Online Short Course)
Get insight into building effective and mutually beneficial relationships with journalists. You'll learn about both reactive and proactive media relations so by the end of the course you'll know how to respond effectively to enquiries from journalists and how to gain coverage for your stories. This course is ideal if you have just started out in your career. It's a workshop style course and you'll contribute your ideas to group discussions and take part in writing exercises.
- What is media relations?
- Why is media relations so important to the PR practitioner?
- The different types of media and the different ways of reaching and influencing journalists
- Working with journalists – what journalists want and do not want.
- Managing media enquiries (reactive media relations)
- Getting media coverage (pro-active media relations)
- How to write a news release
- How to manage a media briefing
- Media relations in a crisis
By the end of this course you should be able to:
- recognise what journalists want from PR practitioners
- know how to target relevant media
- understandwhat makes a good news story
This course is perfect for you if you are new to working in a communications or PR role, or are looking to start a career in media relations
Beginner: This course is perfect for those with little or no knowledge of media relations.
We also offer bespoke media and communications courses for groups, individuals and businesses. To find out more, visit our Customised Training.
Please note that Online courses are closed to all new bookings 48 hours prior to the course starting.
Ron Finlay has more than 30 years of experience in communications and was formerly chief executive of Fishburn Hedges, a top ten PR agency. He founded Ron Finlay Communications in 2010 and his work spans business and financial services, and the health, environment and charity sectors.
Ron’s writing and editing output ranges from annual reviews, corporate brochures and strategy documents to marketing and promotional literature, newspaper and magazine articles, web copy and social media posts.
Ron is a member of the Chartered Institute of Public Relations and the Chartered Institute of Marketing, and a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts. He is also an accredited trainer for the Media Trust.