Effective Writing for Journalists Online Short Course
Journalism is not just about events and stories, but how they’re told. Whether you are interested in covering politics, fashion, or local news, effective writing skills are essential.
From writing the perfect headline to successful use of grammar, this course will sharpen your writing ability in order to help you seek work in the competitive world of journalism
By the end of this course you should be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding effective writing for journalism
- Write a good headline
- Have the confidence to develop your own writing style
- Effectively and efficiently communicate a story
Who Should Attend
Journalists and writers looking to enhance their writing skills.
All our Online Short Courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Lesson recordings, for review
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access
- Certificate upon completion
Further details about preparing for your online course, and the equipment you need, can be found here.
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To check and compare times please click here.
Online short course materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Chrome)
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended. The built-in microphone in your device would also be fine)
- Strong Internet connection - we recommend a minimum of 2 Mbps download, and 1 Mbps upload, faster if possible. You can test your network speed here - https://www.speedtest.net
Please bring for the first session:
- Notebook and pen
- Effective introduction writing
- Identifying and avoiding clichés
- The role of the sub-editor
- De-cluttering your writing style
Meet the Tutor:
Effective Writing for Journalists Short Course will introduce you to the proven tips journalists use to write compelling headlines and stories. Covering style and grammar youll leave with increased precision in your writing.