Beginners Intensive Writing Weekend Online Short Course
This course will look at the elements that make up short fiction from prose poems and vignettes to flash fiction and short stories. We will look at examples from the best writers in the genre (Lydia Davis, Dave Eggers, Susana Medina, Denis Johnson, Shirley Jackson, Sherman Alexie and others). We will read, write, and workshop stories in progress, and by the end of the two days students will have a piece of writing they are proud of that. We will discuss getting work out into the world through competitions and in small literary magazines.
Who should take this course?
The course is aimed at beginners or those who have done a small amount of writing.
All our Online Short Courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Lesson recordings, for review
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access
- Certificate upon completion
Further details about preparing for your online course, and the equipment you need, can be found here.
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To check and compare times please click here.
Online short course materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Chrome)
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended. The built-in microphone in your device would also be fine)
- Strong Internet connection - we recommend a minimum of 2 Mbps download, and 1 Mbps upload, faster if possible. You can test your network speed here - https://www.speedtest.net
Please bring to the session:
- Paper/ notebook
- Any dazzling examples of flash fiction you would like to share
- A book you love.
- Looking at examples from the best writers in the genre, such as Jorge Luis Borges, Lydia Davis, Dave Eggers and Susana Medina.
- Over the weekend you will read, write and workshop stories in progress.
- By the end of the two days you will have a well-structured and complete piece of writing that can be sent out to flash fiction competitions.
Meet the Tutor:
This course will look at the elements that make up short fiction from prose poems and vignettes to flash fiction and short stories. We will look at examples from the best writers in the genre.