Introduction to Illustration (Online Short Course)
Central Saint Martins
Whether you are new to illustration, or have been experimenting with visual language for a while, this course will help you to create unique and beautiful work, and enhance your creativity. Central Saint Martins has a world-renowned reputation for radical practice and rich experimentation and these values are at the heart of this course. We will challenge your understanding of what illustration is, whilst you develop strong technical skills to realise your creative potential.
- Designing and illustrating a book cover
- Sketching and illustration for reportage
- Figure drawing and character design
- Colour Theory
- Sketching from Life
- Illustrating for Food and Packaging
- Illustrating for an article
- Experimenting with sketching techniques
- Sophie, former student
By the end of this course you will have:
- Challenged and deepened your understanding of what Illustration is and what it can be used to achieve
- Mastered a range of fundamental drawing techniques
- Improved and developed your own style
- Learned how to source inspiration from your surroundings to create compelling pieces
- Produced a range of pieces for your portfolio
- Experimented with typeface and learned how to integrate text into your designs
- Used your designs to communicate emotions
Who is Introduction to Illustration (Online) for?
The course is perfect for new textile artists, interior designers, students (fine art, textiles, or fashion) looking to bolster a portfolio, or anyone who wants to learn new illustration skills.
Why choose a CSM Online Short Course
Our online learning short courses allow you to experience Central Saint Martins wherever you are in the world. Additionally all CSM Online Short Courses include;
- Live sessions with expert
- Lesson recordings
- Practical assignments
- Personal feedback
- VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 3 months online access
- CSM Certificate upon completion
Visit Frequently Asked Questions for further details about preparing for your online course, including any equipment you need.
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To compare times, please check World Time Buddy.
Please note: This course is for students aged 18 and older
Please note that Online courses are closed to all new bookings 48 hours prior to the course starting.
Leni Kauffman has a Degree in Graphic Design, Illustration from Central Saint Martins; graduating in 2007. She is a freelance illustrator and has worked in animation, publishing, fashion illustration, and storyboarding.
Online Course Requirements
To access the Online Content, please ensure you have;
- A Computer or Laptop, (tablets can be used but some content will be limited)
- The latest version of Java installed on your device
- A recent operating system (we recommend Google Chrome or Firefox)
- Good Internet connection via WiFi or ethernet; 2G, 3G or 4G will not be sufficient
Course Specific Requirements
To complete the course, please you should have the following equipment;
- Pencils - HB to 8B
- Coloured Pencils
- Coloured Ink
- Gouache paint
- Acrylic paints
- A4 - A3 size sketchbook
- Watercolour sketchbook/Paper