Digital Illustration (Online Short Course)
This practical and inspiring six week course on Digital Illustration provides an overview to wide variety of digital illustration techniques. You will learn the basics of digital illustration and explore different techniques including digital painting, drawing, and even short animation. You will explore the work of successful illustrators and practitioners from around the world, and you will receive advice from industry experts on how best to approach the discipline and its career paths, trends and opportunities.
Each week you’ll be given assignments which we will review during the following class.
- Vector illustration tricks and techniques
- Pattern making
- Isometric illustration
- 3D illustration in Adobe Illustrator
- Hand-drawn digital illustration
- Using a Wacom Tablet
- Drawing effects: textures and colours
- Photography & illustration: collage making
- GIF animation
- Illustration for screens: suitability, use and preparation
- Advice from industry experts
- Digital work exploration
By the end of the course you will
- Have a good understanding of the various techniques used in digital illustration
- Gain valuable experience using your Wacom tablet
- Be able to apply your learning in different contexts such as vector and isometric illustration, illustrating for the screen, hand-drawing and effects as well as basic animation techniques using GIF.
Who is Digital Illustration (online) for
This course is perfect for you if you are looking for basic knowledge that covers a lot of different topics and techniques, however we won’t be touching on too much in-depth knowledge. If you are looking for an introduction to digital illustration techniques in order to find the right path for you, this is the right course!
Please note:This course is for students aged 18 and older
Why choose a CSM Online Course
Our online learning short courses allow you to experience Central Saint Martins wherever you are in the world. Additionally all CSM Online Short Courses include:
- Live sessions with expert
- Lesson recordings
- Practical assignments
- Personal feedback
- VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 3 months online access
- CSM Certificate upon completion
Visit Frequently Asked Questions for further details about preparing for your online course, including any equipment you need.
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To compare times, please check World Time Buddy.
Online Short Course Materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Firefox or Chrome)
- The latest version of Java installed on your device
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended)
- Strong Internet connection via WiFi or ethernet; 2G, 3G or 4G will not be sufficient
- Adobe Photoshop
- Adobe Illustrator
- Wacom tablet (Bamboo or Intuos is fine)