Illustration Drawn to Digital Online Short Course
Join Illustration Drawn to Digital and experiment with combining old and new technologies, bringing together the handmade and the digital.
You will start with handmade drawing, printmaking and mark-making and be encouraged to develop drawings and texture libraries.
By uploading work onto the computer you will learn how to manipulate your designs in Adobe Photoshop. You will learn how to clean up images, add and experiment with textures, as well as playing with the possibilities of pattern repeat and digital collage.
With the guidance from your tutor, you will be encouraged to explore the transition between these two ways of working to create projects that can be printed and manipulated digitally, but still retaining the hand of the artist. By working in this way you will be able to make digital technologies work for you, and gain the confidence to use these to support your current practice.
Who should attend
Any artist, designer or illustrator looking to use more handmade elements alongside digital work. Suitable for those looking to keep the traditional methods of mark-making alive without abandoning the benefits available with digital methods. An ideal course for those wanting to find new approaches to their practice and find inspiration from working within an experimental environment.
For more information on Online Short Courses please see the below information.
You will leave with an understanding of how personal artistic practice can be enhanced by digital means. By concentrating on using Adobe Photoshop you will be confident with the program to continue developing skills in your own time and finding new ways to add personal style to digital images.
All our Online Short Courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Lesson recordings, for review
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access
- Certificate upon completion
Further details about preparing for your online course, and the equipment you need, can be found here.
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To check and compare times please click here.
Online short course materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Chrome)
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended. The built-in microphone in your device would also be fine)
- Strong Internet connection - we recommend a minimum of 2 Mbps download, and 1 Mbps upload, faster if possible. You can test your network speed here - https://www.speedtest.net
Online course specific materials
- If you do not already have Adobe Creative Cloud, please sign up for a free 7 day trial of Adobe Creative Cloud for the duration of the course.
- Sketchbook and loose sheets of paper - size A4 or A3
- Pencils for sketching
- Access to a scanner, camera or smart phone to create digital images of your work
- Craft foam sheets - size A4 Craft Foam roller, Jakar or similar for rolling ink
- Black printing ink
- A perspex sheet or an old tray for rolling out ink - size A4 is fine or A3 is better
- A scalpel
- A cutting mat or rigid piece of card to cut on
- Tracing paper size A4
- Artist research, inspiration boards and project development
- Creating handmade textures
- Image and texture Libraries
- Printmaking (stamps, stencils, collage, mono printing)
- Experimental painting
- Specific areas of Adobe Photoshop
- Cleaning of images
- Adding digital colour
- Digital Collage
- Digital pattern repeats
- Preparing artwork for print
Meet the Tutor:
Join Illustration Drawn to Digital and experiment with combining old and new technologies, bringing together the handmade and the digital. Learn how to take handmade images or add textureon Photoshop to add depth and style to digital images.