Art and Design Residential Summer School for 11 to 13 Year Olds
This art and design workshop course has been developed specifically and exclusively for 11-13 year olds. Whether you consider yourself a complete beginner or if you are already studying art and design at school, this course will give you a taste of what it is like to learn at the world-famous Central Saint Martins.
You will learn new skills and techniques through a ‘hands-on’ approach with expert guidance from your tutor. You will get to experiment and share ideas in a fun, safe and exciting environment.
The philosophy of the course is to ‘learn by doing’, which develops confidence and technical skills through practical assignments that include experimenting, designing and making.
You have the option of taking this project-based course for either one or two weeks with different projects set for both weeks.
- Mark-making Activities: You will participate in a varied selection of mark-making exercises using different drawing materials.
- Observational and Experimental Drawing: Together with the tutor you will practice a selection of experimental drawing techniques designed to improve your drawing whatever style you choose.
- Composition and Collage: You will learn the 7 basic rules of composition and practice them by using fun and engaging collage methods which you can build into a project of your choice.
- Inspiration methods: You will explore different ways to get inspired including using your own digital camera/phone to capture the environment around you and the safe use of the internet.
- Graphic Design: You will experiment with colour, rhythm, pattern, letter forms and image making techniques. Also the use of scale, weight of line and working with textures will be covered to help you produce great graphic design which you will be able to apply to your own work outside of the course.
- Printed Fashion and Textiles: You will learn through expert guidance how to design, draw and make your own fashion/textiles prints.
- Printmaking: You will be introduced to simple but extremely effective printmaking techniques which you can use with your own designs.
- Painting: You will learn about the different types of brushes and their specific uses and will work and experiment in different paint mediums.
- Spray painting and stencilling: You will make ‘Banksy style’ stencils and learn how to spray paint with safe water based low odour spray paints.
Towards the end of the course you will take all these techniques and apply them to a personal project of your choosing with guidance from your tutor. All students will complete the course with sketchbooks full of ideas, along with a number of finished works and new technical abilities, all of which will help inspire your art and design practice in the future.
- Interested in developing their own creativity
- Building a portfolio for future studies
- Confident in learning from their mistakes
- Keen to work with students of different nationalities
- Willing to work and collaborate with others during projects
- Wishing to develop their skills in communicating ideas
All studies, accommodation and residential services take place at the Licensed Victuallers' School in Ascot, a boarding school set in beautiful grounds with great facilities. All of the residential services and support are provided for by our partners The Ardmore Group, a specialist English language and pastoral care organisation. The course fee includes shared room accommodation, sports activities, internet access and catering for morning, lunch and evening meals.
Session 1: Sunday 21st July – Saturday 27th July
Session 2: Sunday 28th July – Saturday 3rd August
Weekday Course times: 10.00 - 16.00
Estimated Group Size: Maximum of 16 students per class
The course fees is inclusive of VAT and covers:
- Most course materials
- Shared accommodation
- Catering (breakfast, lunch and evening meal)
- Indoor swimming pool and gymnasium
- Sports ground and tennis courts
- Computer room
- Special evening activities and/or weekend excursions
Please note: This course is for students aged 11-13 years old only
Please bring the following materials with you to the first session
- USB stick
- Current sketchbooks