UAL International Summer School for 16 - 18 Year Olds
The UAL International Summer School is an intensive three-week summer residential course designed to provide an introduction to art college, offering a unique opportunity to experience projects, delivered by tutors from six colleges: Camberwell College of Arts, Central Saint Martins, Chelsea College of Arts, London College of Communication, London College of Fashion and Wimbledon College of Arts.
Accommodation will be provided at the UAL’s Hall of Residence, Sketch House, located within easy access to central London, where you will explore the rich heritage and social diversity through art and design projects.
Structured in a similar way to a foundation course in art and design, you will be helped to build and create work for a portfolio for university application. Throughout the three-week programme, you will be encouraged to further progress and express your ideas through informal discussions and critiques with your tutors and fellow students.
Through a range of lectures, you will also meet with a broad cross-section of UAL staff, current students and graduates. These discussions will help you build confidence in preparing for application to university entry.
- Experience a day or more in the specialist areas of each of the six UAL colleges
- Experience life as an art and design student in London
- Guidance on the application process for the UAL Foundation Diploma in Art and Design
- Advice on preparing and presenting a strong art and design portfolio
- Experience the energy and vibrancy of London as a world city including off-site visits to galleries and places of interest.
- Guest lecturers including specialist practitioners, associate lecturers and past students
- Evening and weekend social activities to galleries and places of interest
- Certificates of attendance and prizes awarded at the end of the course
- Airport transfers to and from London Heathrow airport
- Ensuite, single rooms
- 24x7 helpline and overnight Summer School Representatives
- Accompanied travel between the halls of residence and UAL colleges
- Pre-paid travel card for local transport across London
You will grow in your own self confidence and learn to appreciate conceptual development through a range of perspectives and skills. You will generate ideas and concepts that reflect a given theme and create a range of new work, experimenting with: scale, texture and colour via the mediums of drawing, sketching, mark-making, photography, 2D and 3D collage and modelling.
Who should attend
The programme is designed for students aged between 16 – 18 years, with some prior experience of art and design.
Summer residential course
How to book your place on the UAL International Summer School
Please select 'Add to Basket' in the section below and follow the instructions to secure your place by debit or credit card. If you have any problems or require more information, please contact us.
Please see our Help & Information PDF below for Frequently Asked Questions about this course. Or contact us if you have additional questions.
Telephone: +44 (0)207 514 6314
UAL International Summer School FAQ's (PDF 590KB)
UAL International Summer School Booking Form (PDF 923KB)
Please bring along with you the following materials for the course
- A selection of pencils – B, 2B, 3B, 4B and 6B
- Soft and hard erasers
- Fine liners (0.4mm size or similar)
- A glue sick
- A camera (phone camera will suffice)
- USB stick of at least 8GB memory
If no dates are showing then please sign up to our mailing list to find out about upcoming dates and new course developments.