Portfolio Building 18+ (Online Short Course)
Portfolio Building for over 18’s will encourage you to develop an approach to constructing a body of art work that will extend your thinking and practice, enabling you to apply for further education courses with confidence.
You'll develop a body of artwork, which can be used towards a portfolio for art college application using skills and techniques in research, sketchbook development and practical work.
Your tutor will give you advice on how to present your portfolio as well as on interview techniques, your personal statement and references required. These are all important components of your university application to full-time courses and beyond.
For more information on Online Short Courses please see the below information.
All our Online Short Courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Lesson recordings, for review
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 3 months online access
- Certificate upon completion
Further details about preparing for your online course, and the equipment you need, can be found here.
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To check and compare times please click here.
- Research methods
- Gathering and extending research
- Use of sketchbooks
- Idea development
- Explore and experiment with the process of making
You'll produce substantial work that will enhance your portfolio and be able to talk about your work with confidence. You'll have improved your technical skills in a variety of areas and you'll be able to generate ideas for new work and new ways of working.
Who should attend
Anyone interested in applying to a foundation or BA course or adding to a portfolio. This portfolio preparation course enables students with a range of abilities to construct appropriate work to form part of a portfolio for their next step into Further and Higher Education.
Courses are typically taught by one or more of the tutors listed below.
Kriton Papadopoulos is an artist and he also completed his PhD at Central Saint Martins looking at the development of the Avant-garde. He has organized various community art projects in collaboration with Kids Company, the Royal Festival Hall and Royal Academy. He has had solo exhibitions both in UK and Europe, including the Tate Modern and Serpentine Gallery. He also exhibits his work with aaart gallery, Athens. Kriton has been an Associate Lecturer at the University of the Arts London since 2003.
View Kriton's work on the ArtSlant website
Seán Myers works with Foundation, BA and MA students at Central Saint Martins. He is an artist and lecturer and also runs a silkscreen printing studio in North London.
To see images of previous student work, view the galleries on Seán's website.
Online short course materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Chrome)
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended. The built-in microphone in your device would also be fine)
- Strong Internet connection - we recommend a minimum of 2 Mbps download, and 1 Mbps upload, faster if possible. You can test your network speed here - https://www.speedtest.net
Onsite and offsite course specific materials
Please bring the following materials with you on the first day:
- A3 sketchbook
- Set of pencils (HB, 2B,4B,6B)
- Willow charcoal
- Cutting knife
- Roll of masking tape
- Acrylic paint - basic set of primary colours, black and white tubes.
- A selection of other colour materials: quink, drawing ink, wax crayons (primary colours), wax candle, oil pastel
- Painting Brushes for acrylic paint. (small, medium, large)
- UHU glue
- PVA glue
- Paint palette or paper plate for mixing colours. Containers for water
- Magazines for inspiration (not fashion magazines please)
- Cartridge paper (A2), Acrylic Paper Pad heavyweight. (360gsm)
- Carboard boxes for 3D project
Non Essential Materials
- Glue gun, glue sticks
- Fabric samples
- White Matt emulsion and household paint,1lt
- White acrylic gesso.(500ml)
- Gelli, gel printing plate. (set with print roller)
- Block print ink, (black, 300ml)