Watercolour Painting 1 - Beginners
Some may say that watercolour has little value when compared to high profile oil or acrylic painting. Not so. It is in fact the medium that is often used to give colour, form and life to an idea before a major work is created. In this course you will discover the power of watercolour. Your creative ideas will evolve as you learn how to develop your ability using the simplicity and flow of this amazing medium!
The aim of the course is to lift the lid off your creative interior and make a variety of powerful watercolour paintings.
Please bring with you to the first session:
- Hard plastic rubber
- Separate tubes containing these or similar: Cadmium Red or Windsor Red, Alizarium Crimson, Lemon Yellow or Cadmium Pale Yellow, Cadmuim Yellow or Chrome Yellow, Yellow Ochre or Raw Sienna, Burnt Sienna, Burnt Umber, Hookers Green or Viridian Green, Sap Green, Ultramarine Blue, Cobalt Blue, Cerulean Blue, Windsor Blue or Prussian Blue, and Chinese White
- A2 pad of 180-250gsm heavyweight or heavy cartridge paper
- Large plastic or china palettes
- Water container
- Broom gummed tape
- Masking fluid
- Natural Sponge
- Brushes round sizes - 18, 14, 10, 7 and flat size - 1 - 1.5 inches. A more extensive choice is useful but not essential. Sables are excellent but expensive. Synthetics are good and cheaper. A mix is probably best.
- During the course we will also be using (as well as watercolour) some chalk pastels, acrylics and gouache. You will need a few basic colours in each of these.
- Rather than following a direct step-by-step approach, you will learn through exploratory investigation and play.
- You will be introduced to contemporary materials, colours and techniques.
- You will paint subject matters such as the figure, still life and the landscape.
- We will combine traditional methods with contemporary approaches
Meet the Tutor:
Discover the power of watercolour! In this beginners painting course your creative ideas will evolve as you learn how to develop your ability using the simplicity and flow of this amazing medium! Learn through exploratory investigation and play.