Anatomical Portrait Drawing
Suitable for beginners and intermediate students, this course will give you the solid foundation that you need in order to produce convincing portrait drawings and paintings. Anatomical drawing knowledge will enrich your drawings by improving the way you handle body structures and proportion.
You'll study in detail the structures and bones of the skull, hands, neck and shoulders.
The morphology and surface appearance of the facial features will be considered in depth.
Most importantly, you'll also learn how these structures support and relate to the muscular system.
- During the course you will be drawing from a life model
- There will be drawing exercises from prepared diagrams
- Slide presentations will show good examples of anatomical drawings
- Examples of the application of anatomical knowledge in the work of artists such as Rubens and Rembrandt will be discussed
- At all times the study of anatomy will be related to how to structure and pace a drawing in terms of line, shape and tone
Who should take this course?
- Anyone who wishes to improve their portrait drawing and painting
- Artists, those working in animation, character design and fashion drawing/illustration - or students wishing to the enter these fields
Level: All levels.
Entry requirements: None
Tutor: Please note that the tutor on this course changes depending on the course dates. All tutor biographies can be reviewed below.
Please note: This course is for students aged 18 and older
David Price studied at Edinburgh School of Art, the University of Newcastle and The Royal College of Art. He is a practicing artist who in 2009 was selected for New Contemporaries. David has a PGCE teaching certificate and over 15 years of experience teaching drawing and fine art.
To learn more about David, read his interview on the CSM Short Courses blog here.
All basic materials will be provided for you.