Sketching the Urban Composition Weekend
This intense and structured hands-on course is ideal for artists or those with an interest or desire to draw unique urban landscapes. This course can take your sketchbook drawings and turn them into a large scale urban composition.
Drawing from the city for half a day, students will be given mark making and imaginative exercises to encourage their sketches to be instinctive, inventive and informative. Back in class participants will look at urban artists work, they will then execute a range of exploratory drawing exercises and from their sketches, compositional plans.
Throughout the rest of the time they will intersperse working on their final composition from their sketches to separate exercises from secondary sources, collage and imagination. Feeding some of these ideas into the large drawing they will be encouraged to take risks, and work through trial and error. The large drawing will evolve into a an original, sustained and personal piece.
- Sketching on location
- How to combine these to make a final personal work
- How to use information from different sources to make a multi-layered composition
Who should take this course?
This course is ideal for students at any level who through a range of ways of working want to take their sketches towards a sustained, inventive and personal outcome.
- A range of original secondary drawings and studies
- The beginning of a large multi-layered composition
- A knowledge of inventive drawing techniques
- Confidence to re-think their work and use different sources to make a multi-layered drawing on a large scale
Entry requirements: No previous experience needed but having been on previous sketching out door classes could be useful but not necessary
Level: All Levels
Please note: This course is for students aged 18 and older
Jeanette Barnes is an Artist and Educator. Postgraduate in Fine Art at RA schools, MA Printmaking RCA. She has over twenty years working for RA learning dept, Outreach programme and senior drawing and printmaking tutor Royal Drawing School. She has been Included in many Solo and group shows.
Please bring on the first day:
- A3 loose leafed sketchbook
- 6-8 pieces of A1 cartridge paper
- Large soft graphite stick
- Thick charcoal
- Pritt stick
Most items can be brought from the college shop.