Explorations in Drawing for 7 to 10 Year Olds Online Short Course
Drawing is one of the very oldest forms of art-making - the oldest drawings ever found are over 70,000 years old! But how has drawing evolved over time, where is it now, and what could it be?
During this course we will spend three sessions exploring these questions as we push the boundaries of drawing in concept, approach and technique. We will embrace both traditional and alternative materials including charcoal, ink, sticks and even our own bodies as we explore new methods such as mapping and gestural mark-making. We will respond to broad themes including movement, emotion, sound and even taste, and will explore work by artists including Claude Heath and Joan Jonas to expand our understanding of drawing as a way to interpret and question the world around us.
Expect to get your hands dirty, to generate a large body of drawings, and to completely change your perspective on drawing in art and design.
Who should attend
Anyone aged 7 to 10 who is interested in art and design.
All our online short courses include:
- Live online lessons, all of our classes are live, you won't find any recordings here
- Clear, explanations and easy to understand lessons.
- Live demonstrations, you can see exactly how things should be done
- Live interaction with your classmates from around the world, our students come from far and wide
- Ask questions of your tutor, using your microphone and camera, or if you're not feeling brave, in the chat box
- Receive feedback on your work
How to book:
- Click add to basket
- If you are an adult booking a place for a child or teenager, you will need two email addresses one for your booking confirmation email and one for the student. *
- Select the option to book for someone else
- Add the bookers details under Your details
- And the students details under Delegate 1
* In the case that your child does not have an email address, please create their account with an alternative email address. If you need help with booking, please use our online chat or call 0207 514 7015
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time.
Online courses are closed to all new bookings 48 hours prior to the course starting.
- 1 pack charcoal (willow preferably)
- A range of pencils, pens, crayons and pastels
- Ink and some different sized brushes (black preferably)
- Mark-making tools, e.g. sticks, sponges, plastic forks
- 1 stick / wooden spoon (the longer the better!)
- 1 roll of masking tape
- Scissors and glue
- 20 sheets white paper, A4/A3 (copy paper is fine)
- 10 sheets coloured paper, A4/A3
- 30 sheets white paper, A3/A2
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (Chrome if possible)
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended. The built-in microphone in your device would also be fine)
- Strong Internet connection - we recommend a minimum of 2 Mbps download, and 1 Mbps upload, faster if possible. You can test your network speed here - https://www.speedtest.net
Meet the Tutor: