Use Your Voice in Art and Activism for 11 to 15 Year Olds Online Short Course
On this course learners will be introduced to teenage and young adult activists and their causes. These include Little Miss Flint who has campaigned for clean water access for Flint, USA for 5 years, Lizzie Mate-Kole Rampe for organising a UK Black Lives Matter march and Greta Thunberg and Vanessa Nakate for their environmental work.
We will be considering how campaigns have used art and design in getting their message across to the public, looking specifically at the work of artists such as Johanna Reign, Tihara Smith and Rebecca Strickson. Each week learners will make their own work in support of something they feel passionate about. This will include collage portraits, designing slogans and creating outfits.
Who should attend
Anyone aged 11 to 15 who is interested in art and design.
- You will use a variety of techniques including drawing, collage and paint to create your own campaign designs
- Through this process you will gain a deeper understanding of design and typography
All our online short courses include:
- Live online lessons, all of?our classes are live, you won't find any recordings here
- Clear, explanations and easy to understand lessons.
- Live demonstrations, you can see exactly how things should be done
- Live interaction with your classmates from around the world, our students come from far and wide
- Ask questions of your tutor, using your microphone and camera, or if you're not feeling brave, in the chat box
- Receive feedback on your work
How to book:
- Click add to basket
- If you are an adult booking a place for a child or teenager, you will need two email addresses one for your booking confirmation email and one for the student. *
- Select the option to book for someone else
- Add the bookers details under Your details
- And the students details under Delegate 1
* In the case that your child does not have an email address, please create their account with an alternative email address. If you need help with booking, please use our online chat or call 0207 514 7015
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time.
Online courses are closed to all new bookings 48 hours prior to the course starting.
- Looking at a range of activists and their causes
- Looking at how these causes have developed their own visual identity
- An investigation into which form of design and typography is appropriate to specific causes
In order to fully participate in the practical exercises please have the following materials/equipment for the first class:
- A black and white printed picture of someone who inspires them
- Glue stick
- Coloured paper
- Floral paper/prints/photos to collage with
- Crayons/felt tips or coloured string/thread/wool
- Cereal box thickness of cardboard
- Black medium thickness marker
- Crayons/felt tips/quick-drying paints like watercolour, gouache or acrylic and a brush
- Cloth and water, if using paint.
Online short course materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Chrome)
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended. The built-in microphone in your device would also be fine)
- Strong Internet connection - we recommend a minimum of 2 Mbps download, and 1 Mbps upload, faster if possible. You can test your network speed here - https://www.speedtest.net
Meet the Tutor:
During this online course for 11 to 15 year olds, explore influential young activists and the many ways you can use art to influence the power of your activist message.