Portfolio Preparation for Architecture for 16 to 18 Year Olds Online Short Course
Have you always been interested in architecture? Are you thinking of applying to study this subject? Would you like to learn more about the practical and conceptual skills required from architects? This beginners course will help you understand what is needed to build a portfolio and decide whether this is the subject for you.
You may not be able to complete a full portfolio during the week, but the course will give you the tools to start building one. You will get a clear idea of how to go about producing work that is appropriate for inclusion in a portfolio in the future. Plus, you will get a lot of practice along the way.
For more information on Online Short Courses please see the below information.
- Foundational skills for an effective application for an architecture or design course
- Experience in design and spatial thought processes, to test out if the course is right for you
All our Online Short Courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Lesson recordings, for review
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access
- Certificate upon completion
Further details about preparing for your online course, and the equipment you need, can be found here.
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To check and compare times please click here.
Materials Needed for the class
- scale ruler
- 0.5mm retractable pencils (or normal wooden pencil) 1x2b 1x2h
- fine line pens 0.05mm-0.1mm, 0.2mm-0.4mm, 0.6-10mm (a very thin, a medium, and a thick)
- if you would like to work on the computer your are welcome to bring your own laptop (preferably with Photoshop installed) but this is not essential and the course does not include software tuition.
- Access to a printer is helpful, but not essential.
- black and coloured pencils and pens
- second hand magazines to cut up for collage
- different types of card and paper of various weights for model making, such as old cereal boxes, shoe boxes, grease-proof paper etc. (they don't need to be white, in fact, collect varied textures and colours if you can leading up to the course
- sellotape, pins, string
- digital camera, if you have one, with download cable.
- 1 x matchbox, of any type or size
Prior to the start of your course, please ensure you have:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Chrome)
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended)
- Strong Internet connection, we recommend a minimum of 2 Mbps download, and 1 Mbps upload, faster if possible. You can test your network speed here - https://www.speedtest.net
- The course is based around an architectural project that can be included in a portfolio for application for an architecture or foundation course
- You will be introduced to spatial exploration through sketching, architectural drawing, model making and collage
- There will be opportunities to go through examples and references of effective architectural images, to clarify the "do's" and "don'ts" when developing a portfolio of your own
Meet the Tutor:
Have you always been interested in architecture? Are you thinking of applying to study this subject? This beginners course will help you understand what is needed to build a portfolio and decide whether this is the subject for you.