Orientation to Art and Design Short Course
This course combines the studio and workshop practice of broad based art and design projects in line with the general requirements to help students prepare for entry to a foundation study program. During the course you will have the chance to build your portfolio whilst expanding your creativity.
At the beginning of the course you will be given a timetable of projects, beginning with basic drawing and observational skills.
This course runs for 9 weeks, or 7 weeks during the condensed summer programme, starting in June, where the duration of each taught day is extended.
Who should attend?
This course is designed to help students with little or no art and design education to bridge the gap between their current skill level and the experience and visual thinking required to gain access to the Foundation Diploma in Art and Design or equivalent within the UK.
The objective of this course is to enable students to develop the necessary knowledge and practical skills for application to, or entry on a foundation level course. This includes:
- Observation and reflection skills
- Analytical research skills
- The control of materials and processes in the realisation of ideas
- A capacity to evaluate your work and the work of others
- The ability to establish communication skills with particular reference to the language used to discuss work in the studio
- This course is open to students aged 17 years and older
- As a guideline, non-native English speakers should be at IELTS level 5.0 in English language, for more information please visit UAL’s English Language Requirements webpage
- To support your application you should have the beginning of a portfolio of 15-20 examples of your work, for more information please visit UAL’s Portfolio Preparation webpage
Making your application
To apply for this course please check the entry requirements and click here to complete the application form.
If you wish to apply to a UAL Foundation in Art and Design, please note that a separate application must be made. For further details please visit the UAL Foundation course page.
The first day
Frequently Asked Questions
When is the deadline to submit my booking?
Bookings will be accepted up to one month before the start of the course. Please read section 8 of our terms and conditions carefully with particular attention to our refund policy.
Do I receive an accredited certificate on completion of the course?
No, a certificate of attendance will be issued on completion of the Preparation course.
Do I need to provide proof of my English Language?
No, we do not need you to provide proof to study Orientation to Art and Design. However; as a guideline, non-native English speakers should be at IELTS level 5.0.
If you are progressing to a full time course at UAL after completing your programme, you are still required to meet these conditions. These will be listed on the relevant course page. For more information you can check the UAL English Language requirements webpage.
Meet the Tutor:
The course has been created to help students with little art and design education bridge the gap between their current skill level and the experience and the knowledge required to prepare a portfolio for entry to Foundation Diploma in Art and Design (or equivalent).