Experimental Drawing and Expanded Thinking for 11 to 15 Year Olds Online Short Course
Over three sessions, this online course will explore aspects of drawing in a hands-on, experimental way. Using elements of observational and analytical drawing, collage and colour theory, learners have the opportunity to deepen their understanding of drawing, from the fundamentals to the outer reaches. Perfect for anyone looking to pursue art and design in school or college, this course can act as preparation for this by introducing some key concepts and shedding light on the breadth of possibilities within drawing practice.
The aim of this course is to allow learners to make observations about their own work, and to push independent thought and decision-making. Using drawing as a starting point, the course aims to expand learners’ thinking about the core principles of visual representation by ‘borrowing’ elements from disciplines including painting, sculpture and architecture. This is designed to promote joined-up thinking, helping learners start to recognise relationships between media and techniques which can go on to support good practice within a range of art and design disciplines.
It is also an opportunity to learn through self-reflection and develop an artistic self-reliance. It is about thinking as well as making. There will be opportunities for discussion, and will encourage learners to form opinions about the work of others. Finally, through this exploratory approach, the course aims to unlock a sense of artistic intuition and build an awareness of the value of experimental making.
- The use of drawing as an investigative tool
- An openness to multi-disciplinary perspectives
- The development of a personal methodology
How to book
- Click add to basket below and follow the steps to create an account and check out.
- If you are an adult booking a place on this course for a child or teenager, you will need two email addresses to complete this booking – one for your booking confirmation email and one for the students booking confirmation. In the case that your child does not have an email address, please create their account with an alternative email address to your own, that you have access to.
- If you need help with booking please use our online chat or call 0207 514 7015
- Plain white paper (A4)
- HB pencil
- White card (A4)
- Felt tips
- Masking tape
- Watercolour set or acrylic paints
- Plate or palette for mixing
- Water pot
- Scrap card
- White card (A4)
- Range of coloured paper
- Pritt stick
- Masking tap
Session 3 - Tutor will advise if more materials are required
Online short course materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Chrome)
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended. The built-in microphone in your device would also be fine)
- Strong Internet connection - we recommend a minimum of 2 Mbps download, and 1 Mbps upload, faster if possible. You can test your network speed here - https://www.speedtest.net
In order to fully participate in the practical exercises please have the following materials/equipment for the first class:
- Observational and analytical drawing
- Colour theory
- Drawing as a research tool
- A multi-disciplinary approach to creativity
Meet the Tutor:
This online art course for 11-15 year olds, will explore drawing in a hands-on, experimental way. Using elements of observational and analytical drawing, collage and colour theory.