Fashion Styling and Making Workshops for 16 to 18 Year Olds
Whether you consider yourself a complete beginner or if you are studying art, design or fashion at school, this fashion summer school course will give you an experience of fashion as taught at Central Saint Martins. Developing your confidence in experimentation, idea generation and creativity will be important activities alongside building your technical skills to help inform you how to become a fashion designer.
Activities will include:
- Working in 3D - silhouettes and draping
- Fashion Styling
- Garment Customisation
- Pattern Cutting
- Machine and Hand Stitching
- Keeping a Photo Journal
- Design Idea Generation
- Presentation Skills
- Professional photo shoot.
- Fashion show on the last day
Day out in London
The course includes a specailly designed educational day out in London that feeds into your course work back in the studio.
Now in its 7th Year, this popular fashion summer school course is ideal if you are considering fashion or textiles as a future career, or if you wish to try something new and have a passion for fashion and the fashion industry. Upon completion you will have new skills to help you continue pattern cutting, customising, styling, making your own collection and much more. You will explore the process very much in the spirit of Central Saint Martins, where your own personal and explorative approach will be celebrated.
This promises to be an exciting and unique experience for any 16-18 year-old who is:
- Interested in developing their own creativity
- Building a portfolio for future studies
- Confident in learning from their mistakes
- Keen to work with students of different nationalities
- Willing to work and collaborate with others during projects
- Wishing to develop their skills in communicating ideas.
Central Saint Martins is internationally famous for fashion design. Ex-students include Stella McCartney, Alexander McQueen, Matthew Williamson and John Galliano, to name just four.
Fashion Styling and Making for 16 to 18 Year Olds is a stand-alone course but also dovetails with the preceding Fashion Design and Draping Workshop for 16 to 18 Year Olds to make a complete 4-week Fashion Summer School course that will really meet the needs of aspiring fashion students.Need help with accommodation in London this summer? Visit our accommodation section
Please note: This course is for students aged 16 to 18 years old only
Petra Metzger is an international Fashion Designer and Fashion Tutor.
Over the last year Petra has been living and working in Rio de Janeiro where she set up the post-graduate Fashion course Orbita at Centro-br. Parallel she has been working as a fashion consultant at Dacri Deviati where she designed for brands at Sao Paulo Fashion Week such as Lenny Niemeyer one of the most important fashion brands in South America and the trend-setting TOP5 brand in Brazil, Vankoke.
Following her graduation from the acclaimed Fashion MA at Central St. Martins College of Art and Design, Petra launched her brand EINE in summer 2013.
She developed her dressmaking and design skills while working alongside innovative designers such as Haider Ackermann , Hussein Chalayan and Peter Jensen. Her work is distinguished by its strong tailoring and its unabashed celebration of woman. While pursuing her profession as a designer, Petra is teaching fashion design, pattern cutting, drawing, portfolio and styling at international universities including Central Saint Martins College, Norwich University of the Arts and Centro-br as well as giving creative fashion design workshops to professional design teams in high-street and high-end fashion.
Please bring with you:
- USB key / thumb drive (minimum 8 GB)
- Laptop with wifi access and power cord (optional)
- Digital camera or good quality camera phone, plus charger and camera USB cable)
- A3 layout pad
- A5 cartridge pad
- A3 hardback presentation sketchbook
- Selection of good quality pencils, including HB and 2B
- Selection of coloured pencils
- Soft (non-smudge) erasers and a putty rubber
- Good quality pencil sharpener
- Pilot 0.1 black fibre tip drawing pen
- Watercolour paint brushes (recommend sizes 1, 3, 5 & 7)
- Watercolour paints - selection of tubes (to comprise/include: primary red, yellow, blue, black and white)
- Gouache paints - selection of tubes (to comprise/include: primary red, yellow, blue, black and white)
- Paint mixing palette
- Paper glue (eg Pritt Stick)
- Leggings and a close fitting vest top
- An apron to protect clothing from paint
- A small smart comfortable bag to carry your A5 cartridge pad, pencils, lunch and an umbrella on course trips to London.
If you want to buy your materials in central London before the course, we recommend CASS ART where you can claim a 10% discount by showing the first page of your CSM short course confirmation email.
If no dates are showing then please Enquire about this course and we will contact you when new dates are published.