Personal Fashion Styling (Online Short Course)
This course provides an introduction to the world of fashion and personal styling. You'll learn how to assess your client's wardrobe requirements in line with their budget and lifestyle, and be taught how to create outfits that will enhance your client's body shape and improve their confidence. You will learn client consultation, wardrobe editing, and colour analysis.
This is a practical course delivered in a series of lectures. Each week you will be set an assignment that allows you to practice topics from the class, and you will be given personal feedback for the tutors. There will be some elements of self directed study, and students will be expected to visit retail environments in order to complete some of the personal shopping tasks.
- A background to the Fashion Media and different types of styling. Why does styling matter? What does a stylist do?
- Key skills for a personal stylist
- Identifying body shapes and proportions for women
- Shapes and silhouettes - building effective wardrobes for every body shape
- Luxury vs budget - when to save and when to spend
- Working within a client budget to create current looks
- Wardrobe edits and capsule wardrobes
- Creating mood boards with clients
- An exploration of trends, how to spot them, and what impact do they have on us and our clients?
- An introduction to trend forecasting
- Insider tips on fit and wardrobe hacks
- How to conduct a client consultation
- Using a client's skin, eye and hair colour to identify the best tones for clothing
- Completion of research tasks and independent research
By the end of this course you will have;
- Become confident identifying different body shapes and knowing the clothes to suit them
- Learnt to match garments and trends to a clients colouring and personal tastes
- A good understanding of how to assemble looks within budget constraints
- Learnt to work with a range of clients and conduct consultations in a professional manner
- Learnt techniques to explore ideas and looks with clients including moodboards
- Received tips and trips from accomplished personal stylists
- Received personal feedback on you assignments from the tutors
- Gained a valuable insight into the personal styling profession, and how to become a successful stylist
- Live sessions with expert
- Lesson recordings
- Practical assignments
- Personal feedback
- VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 3 months online access
- LCF Certificate upon completion
Who is Personal Fashion Styling (Online) for
This course is suitable if you are working in, or seek to work in the fashion industry as a personal stylist or personal shopper, as well as a range of other careers such as buyers or merchandisers. It will also benefit those currently studying fashion, or for those who plan to go on to develop their own fashion brands - or simply anyone who wishes to learn more about how to improve their own sense of personal style!
Level: All levels welcome
Please note: This course is for learners aged 18 and over.
Why choose an LCF Online Short Course
Our online learning short courses allow you to experience London College of Fashion wherever you are in the world. The real-time chat sessions are fully interactive allowing you to communicate easily with the tutor at the same time as fellow students. Additionally all LCF Online Short Courses include;
Further details about preparing for your online course, and the equipment you need, can be found here
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To check and compare times please click here
Please note that Online courses are closed to all new bookings 48 hours prior to the course starting.
John William has been working at the forefront of fashion media for over fifteen years. An industry professional, he specialises in journalism, styling, creative direction, trend forecasting and photography. He launched London College of Fashion’s print magazine ‘Pigeons and Peacocks’ in 2008 and continued to work as the Editor in Chief for the next five years. Editorial clients include: i-D, Vice, The Sunday Times Style, Paper, Puss Puss, Please! and Nylon. For the past decade, John has been working as an Associate Lecturer at the London College of Fashion across a number of BA courses, as well as teaching a range of fashion media short courses. John William is currently the Online Editor for Beauty Papers Magazine.
Penny is a Personal Stylist and Image Professional who advises clients, from businessmen to busy mums, how to build an effortless wardrobe, make the best of their image and gain confidence in their style. Penny has been described by Grazia magazine as having a ‘faultless eye’ and been featured in the Telegraph, FT Specialist and on Talk Radio.
Penny teaches Personal Styling at London College of Fashion and has worked with a broad range of organisations to enhance the career development of their staff to help them reach their full potential. Penny has delivered image training programmes to some of the UK’s top high street brands. Her list of clients includes The Leading Hotels of the World, The London Business School, Investec, Vanish, LHH Penna, River Island and Topshop.
Online Short Course Materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Firefox or Chrome)
- The latest version of Java installed on your device
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended)
- Strong Internet connection via WiFi or ethernet; 2G, 3G or 4G will not be sufficient
Course Specific Materials
- Paper and pen to take notes during live sessions